40. Lunch Date Miles Apart

They seem happy to see me. I fill them in on how things went with Angela and Mason, and the gifts they gave me. They're also surprised about the gift certificate to the spa.

"That was nice of them!"

Mom says as she checks out the bag with the snow globe and stuffy from the kids.

"It was. I told her she didn't have to, and she said she wanted to and that her aunt owns it. Sammie and I are booked in to get our nails done tonight."

"You'll be all pampered up for the guys tomorrow."

"Ya, that was the plan. I did talk to Henry, and he okayed me taking Dylan's truck tonight to use tomorrow. So Sammie is going to drive me there later after we get our nails done and have dinner, so I can pick up the truck. We should know tonight if they have an early morning game or the afternoon game. If we have to leave early, Sammie will possibly be sleeping over. If not, I think she'll probably just sleep at home tonight."

Dad finds a show on the tv to watch, and then turns his attention back to me.

"Sounds like you got that all planned out. Speaking of sleep, I heard you had a rough night?"

I was hoping he wouldn't bring that up, but I know he just wants to make sure I'm okay.

"Ya...ended up having a nightmare about what happened yesterday, and called Dylan. He helped calm me down and I slept better after that."

"Glad he was able to help and you were able to sleep after that. We are always right down here if you need us."

Mom gives me a sympathetic look as she says that. I had a feeling they'd feel bad that I didn't come to them.

"I know. He had told me to call him if I needed him, and calling him meant I didn't have to get out of bed too. I will say that I was very confused when I woke up and saw the food sitting on my nightstand. I hear you were responsible for that."

"Ya, Dylan had messaged me. He wanted to know if I was awake and if I could watch for your orders to be delivered. I told him not to waste his money on all the charges from the different apps, and that I could just run and grab them. Grabbed breakfast for mom and I too."

I feel my phone buzz, and sure enough, it's Dylan.

Mom can tell by the smile on my face that it's Dylan.

"His ears must have been burning."

I get up and take the call out to the back porch.

"Hey, how was the game?"

He lights up as he sees my face pop up on the screen, and it makes my heart skip a beat.

"Hey, it was good. We won by three. They didn't get a goal past me."

"That's awesome! Congrats babe."

"Thanks. Was a tough one, and a hot one, but we did it. We just got back to the hotel. Craig wanted to cool off in the pool before we got food. I'm just sitting in front of the air conditioner while I cool down. Thought I'd call you and see how your morning went."

"It was really good actually. Always sad saying goodbye to the kids and families at the end of their lessons for the summer. They both had practiced a lot since our last lesson, and did really well. They gave me a gift before I left too. A mermaid stuffy from Mason, a snow globe with a mermaid in it from Angela, and a $50 gift certificate to a spa that Holly's aunt owns."

"Wow. That was nice of them. They must have really bonded well with you."

"They seemed to. Kids were always so excited to see me."