3. Trouble

"I thought there was no one that caught your eye?"

A look of shock settles on her face. I'm dying to look at Dylan, but that would be too obvious.

"Call it a technicality, but you asked if there was someone new. He's someone I already know..."

She gets all bouncy in her seat, her long blonde hair bouncing around her shoulders. I can tell the questions are just going to keep on rolling now. Dylan better be ready for this!

"Do we know him?"

"Yes."

With that answer, even Henry is paying closer attention now and seems invested in my answers. He leans forward and looks at me intently.

"It's not Craig, is it?"

I laugh inwardly at the surprised look on Jill's face as she hears his question, and turns in her seat to face him.

"What do you have against Craig?"

He sticks his hands up in defence and laughs.

"He's a nice kid, just doesn't seem like her type."

The three of us burst out laughing to that.

"No, no. It's not Craig. Although we could have dated in the past, had things lined up differently."

They both look a little surprised by that and I can see the wheels turning in their heads while they try to figure out what to ask next. Meanwhile, Dylan's just sitting here watching it all unfold, and hasn't said a word. It doesn't last long, as Henry directs his next question to Dylan.

"Do you think this guy is a good fit for her?"

I watch as he tries to keep from smiling too big.

"I hope so. They both seem to be pretty happy together, and it's been a long time coming."

That's a good hint. Now to see if they catch on. His mom looks down at the table, trying to figure out who it could be.

"So you've known him a while, we know him, it's not Craig, and Dylan approves..."

His dad jumps in, cutting her off as he too thinks aloud.

"Is it someone on the soccer team?"

"Yes."

"I love how dad's the one super invested and asking most of the questions."

Jill looks at him, then presses her fingers to her temple.

"I'm trying to think. You've only been on this team this season though. I'm trying to figure out who on the team you've known before this. Has he been here?"

"Yes."

She looks up at me, surprised.

"Really?! And it's not Craig. It can't be Theo. You already dated him, and Dylan did NOT approve of him."

I laugh and shake my head.

"No, it's not Theo."

Henry looks at Dylan before talking again.

"I don't think we've known anyone else on the team more than this year besides Craig, Theo, and,"

We watch as the answer clicks with Jill and she lets out a scream in excitement. Henry's too shocked from the scream to finish connecting the dots, but she fills him in, so he can react too.

"Please tell me you aren't joking!"

"We aren't joking."

She tells Henry that it's Dylan, and she starts jumping up and down saying 'finally' over and over. Henry sits there slouched back in his chair in disbelief for what feels like forever, before coming around and giving me a hug.