Chapter 5: Guy-Talk

Chapter 5: Guy-Talk

{Steve’s Point of View}

After Sky left for work, I found myself restless with nothing to do or distract me. Sky had been busy for the past few days, reconnecting with her friends Lydia and Cordelia, and visiting her brother, Hector, almost every day. I missed her; when she finished work she’d crawl into bed beside me in the wee hours of the morning and be gone before I woke up, out with her brother or friends.

I didn’t want to pull her away from that, I knew she was struggling with the disappearance of Noel, just like Clint and Tony were. I knew, deep down somewhere, that she probably just wanted to talk to me about it. But I couldn’t. The day that girl had left was the day I lost all hope in her, she’d betrayed us all after we’d laid down our lives to protect each other.

It wasn’t what she had done to me that caused me to hate her so much, it was what she was doing to everyone else.

I left the apartment; filled with the same kind of rage I had felt when Tony had informed us all about Noel.

It took me a moment to realise where I was actually heading.

***

I turned up to Stark Tower with sore feet and the rage had ebbed away slowly, on my way over here.

I rode the private elevator up to the top floor, Tony’s extravagant apartment.

“Hey! Stark, you here?” I called out when the elevator dinged and the doors opened.

“Rogers?” Tony called back. His voice was coming from the kitchen –which was weird. He’d never been a chef…he’d always had people doing everything for him.

“Yeah.” I said lamely, finding him exactly where I thought he would be. He was programming his robot-thing to do something new. “What are you doing?”

“Re-programming Dummy to make eggs.” Tony shrugged, “Not having Fury bossing me around is surprisingly boring.”

Tony looked frazzled. He was in a Black Sabbath t-shirt (Sky had introduced me to the band, they were quite good, actually) that had miscellaneous stains blotted all over it and ripped jeans. He was bare foot and his hair, which usually looked like something straight out of an advertisement for Abercrombie & Fitch, was sticking up in all directions –total bed hair.

He basically looked like he had a bigger hangover than usual.

“You’re telling me.” I replied knowingly, nodding my head in agreement. “No Fury and no Sky. She’s working.”

“Maybe we should start our own security agency.” Tony suggested.

“Where would we get the funds?” I asked stupidly. Tony gave me a look that had ‘you’re really asking that?’ written all over it.

“Still, we couldn’t.” I sat down at the kitchen counter. “S.H.I.E.L.D would shut us down before we could even get started. And this slump won’t last forever, Fury will call us back soon.”

“Yeah –I’m just …” Tony looked as if he wanted to say something but was holding himself back. “Never mind.”

“Tony.” I warned, “Tell me. We’re a team, no secrets.”

Tony paused and frowned at his robot ‘Dummy’ before sighing and running a hand through his bed-hair. “I’m just scared that when Fury calls us back into action…it’s going to be-”

“Because Noel is back.” I cut him off and finished for him. He nodded sullenly and hung his head, like he was ashamed that he was still thinking about her. “Tony, you need to get over her. I know it sounds harsh, but you do. She left for a reason.”

Tony frowned and walked out of the kitchen and skipped the stairs down to his workshop two by two. I followed him.

“She left because of me, is that what you’re trying to tell me, Cap?” He said, anger brushing the edges of his gravelly voice.

“No!” I replied immediately, “That is not what I meant Tony and you know that. I’m just telling you that she left for a reason, and none of us know exactly what that is. But, you need to prepare yourself for certain circumstances.”

“What circumstances?” Tony asked warily, like he didn’t want the answer.

“You need to be prepared for when Noel returns. There is a big possibility that when and if she does, she won’t be the Noel we all knew.” I said and paused for a moment letting my words sink into the depths of Tony’s mind before plowing on. “According to Thor, Loki and this Enchantress used to be allies. Loki gave her some of his powers, and she mastered them, even used them against Loki at one point. You remember what Loki did you Clint; imagine what Enchantress has the potential to do to Noel. There is a very real possibility that if she returns, she could be the greatest villain we’ve ever faced. She knows all of our weaknesses and she can exploit them.”

There was a long paused before Tony nodded and looked down at his bare feet so I couldn’t see his face, but I did hear him mumble a few words:

“Steve, she is my weakness.

* * *

Author's Note:

Hey guys! So, what did you think? Poor Tony :(

Steve likes Black Sabbath! Yes! lol

Just a reminder for anyone entering the Metallic Lights One Shot Competition, only six days left! You can PM your entry or post it and send me the link! Comp closes on Friday, 1st February! Winners are announced on the 2nd of February!

GOOD LUCK!

Next update coming soon (like, tomorrow).

Until then, commen, vote, like!

*huggles* arielleblack