Chapter 14

Thursday, 11:54 am.

"Who can tell me what the cell membrane of a plant is made of?" Nya's Biology teacher asked the class.

Nya leaned back in her seat as she mentally crossed her fingers so that the teacher wouldn't pick her to answer.

She was a decent student when it came to Biology. She knew much, but not enough. And what a membrane was made of was something that just wouldn't stick in her mind. She wasn't interested in that anyway.

Even if she had known what it was, she probably wouldn't have raised her hand anyway.

The more the teacher took to pick someone, the higher the anticipation rose in the class. Nya closed her eyes shut.

The teacher smiled. "Miss Smith! Please tell-"

"Nya Smith, please attend to the principal's office immediately." The loudspeakers in the room announced.

Nya's eyes widened as her blood ran cold. She looked over at Skylor who was looking back at her, just as frightened, from the opposite side of the room. She slowly stood up, leaving her things on her desk as she walked up to the door and left the room.

Once she was at the empty hallway, she immediately took out her phone to see that she didn't have any new messages.

This couldn't be about... you know, right?

As she made her way towards the principal's office, she thought about alternatives as to why she would be called out of class like that, but she soon realized she hadn't done anything wrong besides dating a teacher.

And now she was scared. Horrified, even.

Nya stood in front of the principal's office, looking at the white, wooden door as she thought about how she should start her little speech she had tried to come up with on the way there.

She took one last deep breath before she knocked.

"Come in!" She could hear her principal say.

Nya opened the door and looked inside to see the principal, and... Jay sitting on the opposite side of the desk.

Crap.

The student gulped quietly as she walked up to the empty chair next to Jay and sat down while not trying to look at him for the whole time.

The principal cleared his throat. Then he looked at the two sternly. "Mr Walker, Miss Smith, I have been told about some interesting stuff this morning."

Nya frowned. "And what is that?"

"I am certain you know exactly what this is about. Care to explain, or would you want me to continue? You know, spilling the beans now would be much easier for both of you." He warned.

Jay and Nya looked at each other before looking back at the man in front of them. "We do not know what you are talking about, Mr Thompson." Jay told him, his expressions blank.

Nya inwardly smirked, Jay still had his poker face.

Thompson sighed. "You have been sighted at the grand picnic area in the countryside of Ninjago. And when I say sighted, I mean that you were together. As a couple."

Nya snorted. "Excuse me?"

"This has to be a joke!" Jay agreed.

"Are you implying that I'm in a relationship with my teacher?!" Nya insisted. "Mr Thompson, are you sure you are not mistaken?"

"Very much so, Smith. You have been spotted kissing and cuddling under a tree." The principal raised an eyebrow.

Jay chuckled slightly. "May I ask you who gave you that misinformation?"

"I'm sorry, but I cannot reveal the identity of my sources."

It was Freddy, both of them knew it already.

"Mr Thompson," Nya started. "is there any evidence?"

"Unfortunately not."

"Well then, how can you be sure about me being in a park when I was sick at home all day?" She raised an eyebrow.

The principal hummed. "If that's true, you wouldn't mind me calling your brother, would you?" He asked, his tone almost mischievous.

"Go ahead." Nya said, leaning back into her seat.

Jay watched her doing so and realized that Kai had to be in on everything. This was perfect. Well, except for the situation they were in, of course.

The old man behind the desk pulled out a folder, flipped through some pages, and stopped on one which was filled with numbers. He slid his pointer finger across the page and looked closely at it until he found Nya's brother's number. He kept holding his finger above the number and reached for his cellphone. Then he quickly typed in the number and put the phone on speaker.

It beeped for a few times before the person on the other side picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"Good morning. Am I talking to Kai Smith?"

"Uhh, yes, that's me. Who are you?" Kai asked, his voice filled with confusion.

"I am Michael Thompson, principal of Ninjago High. I'd like to talk to you about your sister, Nya."

You could hear some shuffling from the other side before it all went silent again. "Yes? What about her?"

The principal looked dead into Nya's eyes as he kept talking. "I would like to ask you where she was yesterday and what she was doing."

Kai sighed on the other side. "She was sick in her bed. It felt like I was babysitting my own sister once again, although I was the one to basically raise her. Like, she was literally in her bed all day, calling me for every single thing she wasn't able to do on her own. I'm just glad she's okay again because that was a nightmare. Don't tell her, though. She'll kill me if she heard me say that, and I happen to enjoy my life so far." He let out a poor laugh.

The principal raised his eyebrows in shock.

"Why would you call me to ask that, though? I thought I had written her an absence excuse note..." Kai asked, seemingly deep in thought.

Thompson smiled. "Just making sure. Thank you, Mr Smith."

"Oh, okay then. Goodbye!"

"Have a nice day." Then the principal hung up.

Nya couldn't help the victory smirk that was starting to appear on her face. She looked intently at her principal as he sheepishly put his phone away.

He turned back towards the two, his hands intertwined together on his desk. "I would like to apologize. To both of you." Then he turned towards the teacher. "I assume you were at your friend's wedding?"

Jay nodded. "Yes."

The principal sighed. "I will have to have another conversation with... my source. Again, I am sorry for accusing you of such things as being a couple as a student and a teacher. We all know that is forbidden."

"It's fine, I'm just glad we could talk this through." Nya said, smiling.

Jay nodded in agreement. "Exactly."

"Miss Smith, you may go back to your class. Same goes for you, Mr Walker." Mr Thompson smiled.

The two smiled back as they stood up almost at the same time. "Thank you." Nya said before she walked out of the room.

Without waiting for Jay to go out of the room, she immediately walked away from the office as fast as possible.

Her heart was pounding in her chest heavily as her eyes were wide from the aftershock.

The one question in her head was still there, though; did they really manage to convince the principal?