thirty

LAUREN HATED GOODBYES. A LOT. and today? she had to say goodbye to two of her favorite people. one for a couple of months, and the other? forever.

it had been a full week since derek's passing, and it now the day the holland's dreaded most, derek's funeral. the last time they were ever going to see him physically. after some dull ceremony, derek was going to be buried six feet underground. and all they were going to have left of him were memories.

lauren stood in front the mirror in her room, straightening out the simple black dress she wore, it had a boatneck neckline, and its skirt fell right above her knees, the dress was made of lace and it had a silver satin ribbon wrapping around her waist. she wore black flats to go along with it.

she never intended to use this for a funeral, she bought it when her father gave her money on her eighteenth birthday just because she thought it looked cute and that she could wear it to cocktail parties. but now? she was probably never going to look at this dress the same.

taking a deep breath, lauren checked herself out in the mirror once again, just to make sure she at least looked presentable. she didn't have the energy to put make up on, or to tie her hair up. the most she did was put some concealer on, but even then, the dark circles under her eyes were still evident.

the holland household was the quietest its ever been since justin was born. justin put his move on hold until further notice, wanting to make sure that both his mother and his sister were okay before he left. not that he was going to move somewhere that far, moving out at a time like this just felt wrong.

the three would get up, eat breakfast, do what they have to do, go to derek's wake to entertain (?) the guests. they didn't talk to each other, sure there was some small talk here and there but other than that? nothing.

lauren hadn't spoken to any of her friends since either, she hadn't opened the group chat or her phone in days, the only person she saw and spoke to was jaeden, but even then their conversations were limited. it was obvious that jaeden was walking on egg shells around her, and it annoyed her. but she had more important things to worry about.

"you look nice", the comforting sound of her boyfriend's voice made the blonde sigh. turning to the door of her room, she saw jaeden, leaning on her door frame with his hands in his pockets. he was wearing a black suit and a white tie, and truth be told, lauren found him really attractive. but jumping her boyfriend and locking the door wasn't really appropriate at this time.

"thanks" she mumbled, jaeden pursed his lips, sauntering towards his girlfriend before enveloping his arms around her body for a tight embrace. he kissed the top of her head, basking in her presence as her petite arms wrapped around his torso.

"you okay?" he then asked, placing a hand on her chin before tilting her head up

"sorry that was dumb, of course you aren't"

"no it's alright. i've — i've been better. still doesn't feel real" she admitted, resting her head on his chest as the brunet placed his chin on top of her head.

"it's gonna take some getting used to. sometimes i go through my phone expecting a text a message from him. sometimes i get the sudden urge to text him, i mean — i don't but you know"

"yeah i guess"

"what time are we supposed to be there?" he asked, their fingers absentmindedly intertwining.

"in half an hour maybe? justin's driving us"

"you sure about that? how about i drive you guys"