Mortal Pet. Immortal Master. 20

Ayesha’s P.O.V:

When I woke up, I was curled up in someone’s arms, their body wrapped around mine in a comfortable way, not at all hurting me. I concluded that it must be Ryan, no one else would – no – could hold me like that.

Remembering when me and Ryan use to do this, when the guards came to beat me, he hid me – sheltering me with his body. He knew he would get beaten as well but he still protected me. Letting a tear slide down my face I whispered what we used to every night.

“I love you…”

Not bothering to open my eyes I expected the mandatory response. ‘I love you to,’ and then he would tell me a story about his long lost love. I knew it was only brother-sister/father-daughter love but that was all I needed – and all I asked for.

“I love you,” the response came – but not from the right mouth. I cried out – panic in my tone – and jumped up. Who did I say it to? Looking behind me I saw my master, a sleepy smile on his face, eyes half open – staring at me full of hurt and rejection. “But you weren’t talking to me, were you?”

I froze; what should I say without getting a beating? He obviously was going to be angry with me if I said ‘no’ but he would know that I was lying if I said yes. I started to shake – still trying to decide what to say.

“Ryan,” I whispered. “Ryan,” I said getting louder. “H-he used to s-s-say that to me-e.”

I was so stupid – my master was right – I was surely going to get Ryan and myself in trouble. Ryan didn’t even do anything, and here I was getting him in trouble. I was a horrible friend, not even worth it.

“I’m horrible,” I whispered. Horror in my voice, the truth finally sinking in. “I’m horrible.” Wishing my master would hurt me badly – so badly that he would beat the horribleness out of me.

Instead I felt two hands wrap around me, in an embrace so unusual that I choked a little on the sob I had welling up in my throat. The hands were slightly crushing me, but it was soft – like a normal bear hug that Ryan used to give occasionally.

“You’re not horrible, not at all,” my master whispered in my ear, tickling me with his breath and confusing me greatly – I thought he would be agreeing with me, vigorously. “You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. You probably don’t know it but you are the most beautiful, clever, unique girl I have ever met in all of my existence.”

Aaron’s P.O.V:

I knew I sounded corny but I could not stop. The words were just pouring out, not stoping, I just wanted this distance between us to be gone and hopefully this little speech would help.

“You’re gorgeous, loving, forgiving and just all around perfect,” I paused then – taking in the shocked look on her face. I moved her so that she was sitting on my lap, her head resting against my shoulder. “I never thought that I would ever feel this way about someone, but you changed me, Ayesha, you changed me. For the better.

“My life before you was meaningless, mundane even. I filled my days picking on everyone below me, not bothering to learn what my father told me to, not even trying to step up to take my role as King. I was selfish, irresponsible and a damn nuisance.”

I stopped, looking into her emerald eyes, they were confused, scared and a filled with compassion. It was just proving my point further, despite all I put her through she was so ready to forgive-forget and sympathize. It aggravated, and humbled me. How could she do it?

“I sometimes feel like I am not good enough for you, like right now for instance, here you are – letting me hold you, even after what I did. And even though I am probably hurting you now, you don’t make a sound – you know that I need to say this and so you take it. It kills me,” I paused, my voice getting lower and choked with emotion. “It kills me that I am the one who always causes you pain when all I want to do right now is do the opposite. I want to take your pain away. Every last tear, every last cry, every last thought of fear – I want to wipe them all out.”