Chapter 14 ― One Last Trip?

***120 VOTES FOR CHAPTER 15***

Hey hey! I wanted to wait a little before updating, but with over 130 votes, I couldn't really leave you guys waiting much longer haha I hope you enjoy!

___________________________

CHAPTER 14

ONE LAST TRIP?

I couldn’t believe my eyes, it was like seeing a ghost! But he really was there, there was no mistaking him for someone else, only he could have that cheeky grin on his face. Oh, how I missed the grin!

I started to go around the racks to make my way to him, but stopped in my tracks. He probably didn’t want to see me. He maybe wasn’t ready to forgive himself for what wasn’t his fault to begin with. No matter how much I wanted to be close to the Doctor again, I should allow him his space right? On the other hand, it has been a year...

I realized I was staring and our eyes met. My cheeks flushed red, he knew I was here!

We looked at each other for a long time, both hesitating between running away and confronting the other. We stayed conflicted until Craig popped out of nowhere next to me, carrying a baby.

“AJ!” he said happily. “What a surprise seeing you here!”

“Hello, Craig,” I smiled widely to my former flatmate. “Who’s this little guy?” I asked, referring to the baby.

“Stormageten, dark lord of all,” said someone right behind me.

I turned to see the Doctor had made his way to Craig and I. He looked down at me and smiled that brilliant smile and just with that, I knew everything was ok between us. All it took was a smile to let me know there were no hard feelings, no anger and no bitterness.

“Hello, AJ. It’s nice seeing you again.”

“Same here. It’s been a year after all,” I stated.

“It has for you that is,” he replied.

“But I’m sure that the baby’s name isn’t, well, what you just said.”

“It’s Alfie,” Craig corrected him. “The Doctor claims he can speak baby.”

“That wouldn’t surprise me,” I giggled

“What brings you here, AJ?”

“Shopping. With Amy and Rory,” I said, giving the Doctor a smile.

I continued to do some small talk with Craig and the Doctor for a good ten minutes when suddenly, they stated they had to get back to whatever they were doing. I realized it was now of never if I wanted to have adventures again.

“Doctor, can I talk to you alone?” I asked, grabbing him arm to stop him from leaving.

He simply nodded and followed me to a quieter place. Before I could speak, he cut me off.

“I know what this is about. The answer is no, AJ,” he said in a final tone.

I was a little surprised. By how things were going so well just a moment before, I didn’t expect such a direct and negative answer.

“Oh, why not?” I whined.  “You are so unfair! You didn’t even give me a chance to say anything, you just assume what’s right for me.”

“I don’t assume, I know.”

“No you don’t, Doctor. Because if you did, you’d know that what I need is to travel with you in the TARDIS again,” I insisted.

“Ariella-“ he started.

“No, you call me AJ, you’ve always called me AJ. You aren’t allowed to call me Ariella, Doctor,” I cut him off, getting frustrated with him.

He was getting frustrated too, but looked mostly tired. And I thought to myself maybe tiring him out would work.

“Please, Doctor, take me with you. I can’t stand being on Earth any longer.”

“I can’t...”

“But I really don’t see why you can’t. You really don’t want me around? Is that it?”

“You don’t understand, I really would take you with me. To be honest, I would if I could. I would love to bring you along with me. AJ, no matter what you may think, you are one of my best friends and I care about you so much. I just can’t,” he said and for the first time in a year, I knew exactly why I loved him so much – his undying kindness and gorgeous green eyes.

“Why?” I asked softly.

“I can’t tell you. I’m sorry, but I just can’t.”

“Please,” I begged.

No response. I looked down at the ground and sighed sadly. There was obviously something bothering him that he didn’t wish to talk about. All I could do is accept his silence as a definite no. I felt my heart starting to break for what had to be the thousandth time in my life.

A then felt a warm hand on my cheek. I looked up to see him smiling sweetly.

“AJ, I can’t take you with me to travel forever, but... There is time for one last trip. Just one. What do you say?” he offered.

My lips curled upwards into a cheerful smile. Out of excitement, I threw my arms around his neck and pulled him close.

“I’d go anywhere with you!” I said.

We hugged for a long while and when we finally pulled away, I felt as if we were never apart.

“Excellent! I’ll pick you up tomorrow around noon at the park next to your home. Don’t bring Amy and Rory with you, it’s just going to be me and you.”

“Fine with me. But you have to promise you’ll be there. That you aren’t going to skip town on me. Promise me, Doctor,” I insisted, knowing how unpredictable he could be.

“I promise, AJ. I would never do that to you,” he said. “Now, I’ve got to get going, but I’ll see you then.”

And right before leaving, surprising me more than ever, he laid a kiss on my cheek before walking away.

***120 VOTES FOR CHAPTER 15***