Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Alex

The moment when your world feels like it is crashing down around you is not only terrifying but heartbreaking as well. When my phone rang that late, I knew that something horrible had happened. My thoughts immediately went to the woman I love who is carrying my son. The officer had assured me that she was alright, but until I could lay eyes on her, there was nothing anyone could say to calm me down.

I ran out the door as fast as possible, not paying attention to the yells, and then men following. I needed to see Mae. The ride there was nerve-wracking, and I could only focus on getting there fast. I walked into the doors of my home, knowing that it would never be the same there. No matter how much time passed, Mae would never completely feel safe in our home again.

Once I had her in my arms and knew she was safe, I finally calmed down. Listening to her story, I was in awe of how strong she was through the whole thing. Mae is extraordinary, and I don't think she has a clue. Most people would be angry at Max for bringing a crazy person into their life, but she didn't blame him at all.

Once everything was done, and we got to the hotel, both of us started to relax. Mae was soaking in the tub while I was trying to think of how to handle the wedding. The last thing I wanted to do was put Mae under any more stress. The best thing would be to ask what she wants. I head into the bathroom to do it.

"Baby, I know that you probably don't want to worry about anything at the moment, but what do you want to do about the wedding?" I try and keep my voice calm as I ask.

"What do you mean, what do I want to do? I'm getting married tomorrow. Are you?" She arches her brow.

"I don't want you overwhelmed or upset, so we can change......" She cuts me off.

"Alex, if you dare finish that sentence, I will cut your balls off and feed them to you!" She yells at me.

My eyes widen as I listen to her. She's never raised her voice like that before. I can tell that her pregnancy hormones are getting to her. She huffs and takes a deep breath to calm herself down. She closes her eyes and breathes in and out slowly.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have threatened or yelled at you. I'm just tired and crumpy. I don't want to change anything. I want to marry you, and I'm not letting that crazy witch ruin our day. Now get in here with me and help me relax."

*********

We wake up to the door to the hotel room being banged on. I walk over and answer to find all the women here carrying bags of items and garment bags. I'm shocked at how much stuff they are carrying.

"Alright lover boy, time to hit the road. Todd is downstairs waiting on you." Katie says.

"Can I at least get dressed and brush my teeth?" I huff out.

"Make it fast!" My mom yells.

These women will be the death of me today. I quickly get ready and walk over and kiss Mae on her forehead. She is currently sitting up in bed with a glass of orange juice. She smiles and I feel my heart melt.

"I'll meet you at the end of the aisle."

Mae

I watch Alex walk out the door and smile. He was so nervous last night about asking what we should do. I've always known that he loved me, but last night made sure to cement that in my heart.

"Mae, I know that you may not be ready to talk about last night so we are going to only have fun today," Erica says with a smile.

My sister from another mister knows me better than I know myself. She can tell that I still need time to process and that I want to enjoy today. I nod, and we all start digging into the food that they brought along with them.

After we finish eating, we start getting ready. My dress hides my little bump well and fits my style perfectly. I saw it and fell in love on the spot. Chelsea is determined to do my makeup for the day, saying she wants to make me look like a princess. Erica and my mom are doing my hair, so all I have to do is sit and be pampered.

"So I got you this garter, and I think that Alex is going to enjoy it," Katie says as she walks over carrying a small box.

I open it to find a red and black garter that has the words Ride that Balgona Pony in white letters. I start laughing to the point of tears, and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy. As I finally calm down, I pass it around. Everyone has a confused look on their face.

"The first time we were together, I said that to him. Did he tell you that?" I ask in between giggles.

"Yup, and he said that he knew that you were absolutely the one when you did." She says laughing.

"Lord, Mae. Who knew you were so dirty." My mother says.

Everyone is giggling now, and I feel like my sides will split open. Everyone gives me things to fulfill the old saying of something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. My heart is full of love as we all have fun getting ready.

I wanted to keep the ceremony simple since Alex and I both are people who would rather spend our time celebrating than putting on a show. We head to the venue, and everyone starts getting ready for the service. I'm standing with my dad waiting, and I feel a little nervous.

"Don't worry Mae, everything will be just fine. You and Alex are made for each other. " He pats my hand as he says this.

I know I shouldn't be nervous, but I don't want to fall on my face in front of a crowd. Lately, I've been super clumsy, and who knows what will happen with me trying to walk in this dress. The doors open, and the music starts for me to walk down the aisle.

My dad leads me down the aisle, and all I can see is Alex and his cheesy grin. He looks so happy, and it makes my smile break out into an equally cheesy smile. The walk doesn't take long at all and I manage to make it there without breaking my neck. Dad hands me off to Alex, and the service starts. Everything is flowing smoothly, and now it is time for the vowels.

"Alex, the first time I saw you, I forgot all about what I was doing. You made me lose focus on the customers in front of me with that sweet smile of yours. You were so handsome and kind that my heart felt like it was going to stop at any moment. The first date we had was something that I will never forget. You made me believe that it was possible to find love. Even though I thought you were way out of my league, I still hoped that I would be able to win you over. You have given me something that no one else could ever do, confidence. You make me want to be myself and make me feel like that is a pretty cool person to be. I promise to love you forever and to make you never regret making out with me on the shelves of that store." I hear laughter from Chelsea and Xavier.

"Mae, I had no thoughts of finding my soul mate when I walked into that bakery. I thought I was just helping Xavier pick a freaking cake finally." People start laughing. "Then you walked in, and everything changed. There was something about you that drew me in and made me want to get to know every detail of who you are. That first date was the most fun I had ever had, and so the next day I had to see you. Now I have seen you every day since. Any girl that would say the things you have to me is perfect. I won't repeat it due to children being present. I promise to make you happy for the rest of your life. To help you in everything and to give you a life that is better than you ever could have imagined. I love you, baby."

"By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride Alex."

Alex pulls me in and gives me the best kiss of my life. Everything he feels is in this kiss, and I feel my toes curls. When we pull apart we hear cheers and clapping. Our friends and family couldn't be happier. This is the best day of my life.