Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Alex

Days like today make me wonder how rich people stand each other. Sitting here listening to my best friends talking about one's fiancé and their wedding plans makes me cringe. I didn't grow up with money. The only reason that I have any now is from working my way through school and working my way up to VP.

"She hates everything! I have tried every bakery on the good side of the city. There is always something wrong with the cake." Xavier puts his head in his hands and groans.

"Chelsea expects the best Man. You know she's been like that her whole life. I mean her damn mom has to special order her bread for brunch." Declan says.

Xavier and Declan are both from prominent families in the city. We met in high school when I was awarded a scholarship to their private school. The thing that helped us stay friends was the fact that they didn't let money rule their lives. both worked hard and built their companies up from where they were when they took over.

"She would never be caught at a place like Rosetta's." Xavier says.

Rosetta's has been a staple for us every Friday since we met. The place is just your run of the Emil dinner but we love it. Not to mention that the desert here is the best I've ever had.

"Xavier honey why don't you take her by my bakery. I know she would never come there but my baker is said to be the best in the city. You boys know who Abigail West is?" Rosetta says while passing us our food. We all nod, of course, the girl is the biggest actress in the world right now.

"We did her cakes for her friend's baby showers. I know to some location is what determines if it's good or not, but you boys have been eating up her deserts for years."

Xavier's head snapped up with wide eyes with excitement. The thought of getting this taken care of finally, made him happy. She drove him nuts but he loved Chelsea.

"That would be awesome Rosetta. Do you think we could do tomorrow at about eleven in the morning?" His voice was hopeful and his face mirrored it.

"That should be fine. She'll come in on Saturdays for that. She likes to meet the people she makes cakes for. Says it helps her design something perfect for each person."

After we dig into our food we fall into our normal routine conversations, mainly Declan's latest fling and why I won't date any of their friends. I've tried it once and it was horrible. Chelsea set me up with her best friend Macy. I thought that a nice dinner and movie would be a great way to get to know one another.
Boy was I wrong. She complained and cried, yes cried, over everything.

After that, I decided no more dating anyone they suggested. I have tried to date a few times but no one has really caught my attention enough to do a second date. I live and work in a world full of people who are trying to move up the ladder of work or society, and those women just don't appeal to me. I want a girl my age who is down to earth ad is happy with her life. I want to be content and that is what I was looking for. Now I'm just living my life. I've looked and that girl just isn't out there. I've missed my chance because those girls got snatched up already.

"You know Chelsea will have tons of single friends at the wedding. You should try and find someone while you're there Man." Declan says out of the blue.

"Why so I can end up with another Macy?" I tried to ask this without sounding like a total ass.

"No so you can use that limp thing before it dries up and withers away." He laughs at himself like it is the greatest joke of all time.

"Dude he isn't you. He can go more than an hour without sex." Xavier says laughing.

At this Declan picks up a fry and throws it hitting Xavier's face. The sad thing is that it's true. Declan always has something going on with a woman. The guy is in constant need of sex. It's a miracle that he hasn't caught something or knocked someone up.

"I'm good. You know how I feel about rich girls. They're nice enough but too high maintenance for me. I'm happy just the way things are."

"Well, will you at least do me a solid and come in the morning to the tasting? I can't handle Chelsea and her mom on my own again." Xavier gives me the you owe me look.

Two weeks ago I had to have him save me from my now ex-secretary who tried to seduce me. I was completely turned off and horrified, he thought it was hilarious to see me standing in the corner. Trying to stay as far away as possible from the very naked woman writhing on my desk. She thought she would finally get my attention by ambushing me after lunch. It didn't work.

"Yeah I'll be there and then we're even." He laughs again and soon Declan joins in remembering the photos of my horror-stricken face Xavier took.

The rest of my day was uneventful and I was ready to finally make it home around eight in the evening. I had just gotten into the door and started cooking some dinner when my phone rang and I saw that it was my older sister Katie. Smiling I answer.

"Katie so who do I owe the pleasure?" I hear her laugh on the other end. She and I have always been close and she makes me want to find a girl just like her of my own.

"Oh just checking in. I haven't heard from you this week just wanted to see if you're still going to the Sunday Lunch." I hear her kids in the background causing chaos as usual.

"Of course I will. What else have I got to do?" I ask genuinely wondering what she is thinking.

"I was hoping you'd say you had a date and couldn't make it."

I sigh out loud. As much as I love her I know that this is the inevitable conversation that we have every week. She wants me to find someone and to finally give her a sister. Our older brother Todd is married to a man named Eric so that means no sister for her.

"Katie, you know that I have stopped worrying about that. If I happen to find a girl that I think I could make a relationship with then I will jump at the chance. I am just tired of going out and looking for someone who probably isn't available anymore."

I hear her sigh and I know that she is thinking about what I said. she does have my best interest at heart and I think that she is trying to leave it alone she just doesn't know-how. I chuckle and hear her start to laugh herself knowing that we are never going to completely see eye to eye on the matter.

"Well I guess I will leave it for now, but you can't take my hope. By the way, Mom wanted you to bring dessert this time." She says and I can tell she is smiling.

"You guys know I can't bake. I can cook and meal you want but dessert is not happening. Good thing I am going to a bakery tomorrow." I hear her start to laugh again and I know that she is enjoying listening to me struggle with what to do.

Our whole lives have been spent with her teasing me because she can as the older sister. Even though it makes me crazy at times I love the fact that we are close and that we can act like this still as adults. The people I am around most of the day are always so stuffy and act like fun is a four-letter word that can't be said or had. Declan and Xavier are the only ones that I know in the high social circles who know how to not take themselves too seriously.

"Well, I better get off and get the Helluns under control and ready for bed. I love you, Little Man." She says just as she has since childhood.

"Love you too Big Sis."

I spend the rest of my evening eating and watching a few shows. I unwind from the day and enjoy the fact that I can sit without anyone bothering me and needing something from me. Being the VP at a company sometimes feels like I am there to serve everyone else. I think it may have to do with the fact that I am much more approachable than most higher-ups in companies. I worked my way up from the bottom and I respect everyone who works there regardless of their position.

Once I make it to bed I lay there thinking about what my day will be like tomorrow. Knowing Chelsea and her mom it will be a disaster. I just hope that they do not insult the poor baker. Rosetta spoke so highly of her I hope that they will like her cakes and that we can get this over with quickly. God knows that Xavier could use the break. Who knows maybe I will find something awesome for Sunday there too.