Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Mae

Two months go by in a blur. Work has been beyond busy since Chelsea told all her friends about my cakes. It has even come to the point where I have had to turn down orders. I mean how the hell did that happen? We were always steady before, but now it is like we're overloaded with requests.

Rosetta and I have talked about possibly hiring a part-timer to help cover some of the everyday stuff that I'm struggling to keep up with. Max is on the other hand over the moon with all the business. It gives him more women to hit on. That boy is such a horn dog.

Alex and I couldn't be better. We spend every possible moment with each other, and we have plans for me to meet his family  Sunday after Xavier's wedding. I have been working frantically this week to be ready to set up for the wedding. Alex wants me to be his date for the rehearsal, and I said yes not thinking about how busy I am.

"Max, you think you will be good if I head out now?" I look over at my friend to see him decorating a cake for an order that we had.

"Sure. This is the last order, and we have everything set for in the morning. Go get pretty for your man." He says smirking at me. Alex met my friends a week after we got together, and he and Max hit it off.

"Alright. I'll see you in the morning. Thanks again for helping me with the setup. I know I never let anyone help, but I wanted this to be special, and since I am staying for the service, I needed the help." I walk over and kiss him on the cheek and leave.

I head home and spend the rest of the afternoon getting myself ready to go to the rehearsal. Alex is the best man, and he has to make a speech tonight and during the reception. He is excited to tell some of the stories he has built over the years. Alex is heading over to my place to pick me up so that we can head to dinner. The rehearsal its self is over, and they are all meeting at the restaurant.

I hear a door open, and I know that Alex is here. We exchanged keys after about two weeks of dating. My parents think we are rushing into something but are happy for me at the same time. They are dying to meet Alex, but it hasn't worked out yet where we can get together.

"Hey, Beautiful. You ready?" I feel hands wrap around my waist from behind and lips kissing my neck.

"I don't know. My boyfriend wouldn't be too happy to know that I am going out with a handsome stranger tonight." I turn in his arms so that I am facing him.

"Well, what he doesn't know won't hurt him. Besides he permitted me to take you out tonight." He smirks as he says this.

"Really now? I don't know if I want to go with you. I love my boyfriend a lot and he is just so dreamy." I say and close my eyes like I am dreaming of my boyfriend.

"I'm dreamy?" I open my eyes to see him smirking with lust in his eyes.

I giggle a little and nod my head. He leans in and gives me a kiss that makes my toes curl. There has been no doubt that we have great chemistry. Whether it is physical or just our personalities we click. I feel like I have found the other half of my soul with him.

"Alright, sweetheart we gotta get going." He says as he pulls away.

When we arrive at the restaurant, I am surprised at how empty it appears. Alex then tells me that Chelsea's family rented out the whole place for dinner. I shouldn't be surprised considering how rich these people are. I can't help but be nervous as I am meeting more of Alex's friends and some of the highest social class people in the city.

We make our way into the restaurant and see groups of people standing around holding glasses of champagne talking. Chelsea grabs us first and introduces me to her bridesmaids who all look like they were molded from the same pattern. One, in particular, is looking at me like she could kill me.
Alex seems to notice so he steps in to save the day.

"Macy, how are you?" She stops her glaring and looks and smiles at Alex.

"I'm great Alex. I hoped you would call for another round but I see you found something else to distract you." She gives me a look that tells me she wants my man.

"Since there was never around one I didn't think it was necessary. Plus you hated everything about our one date." Alex shuts her plan down fast. I have to hold my laughter in as the girl scowls at us.

After another few minutes of talking we turn to head over to talk to Xavier. There are two men whose backs are facing us and I can't see who they are. Xavier lights up when he sees us and walks over to kiss me on the cheek.

"Mae you made it. I want to introduce you to my other groomsmen since your man seems to have forgotten his manners." Alex grumbles at this since he didn't even get the chance to do so.

"This is Declan and his brother Tanner."

My heart stops as soon as I turn to face the guys. There stands my ex-fiance in all his glory. As soon as he sees me he drops his glass, shattering it on the floor. Everyone in the room turns and looks at us and my face starts to grow red with anger and embarrassment.

"Ladybug?" Tanner says with his mouth hanging open.

I look at Alex and see his confused face. He knew my ex's name but neither of us put two and two together to realize we both knew the same, Tanner. The confusion seems to be contagious because everyone I know here is looking at me like I'm crazy.

"Do you two know each other?"Alex asks. His voice is raspy as if he is trying to hold all of his emotions in.

I look into his eyes and I see hurt and betrayal. Both of those looks make me want to burst into tears because this isn't my fault. I know that I have to say something and stand up for myself.

"Tanner is my ex fiancé." Tanner stands and continues to stare at me.

"Bullshit. My brother has never had a fiancé! What's your deal? You just some gold-digging hoe out to find a rich guy to screw? Yeah, I heard all about how quickly Alex was able to get you in bed. I think you should leave. We don't want to ruin an actual couples special event." Declan shouts at me.

I have never met Declan before but it seems that he has a quick temper. I look to Alex and he has his head down and he is shaking his head. He doesn't say anything to accuse me but he doesn't defend me either.

I turn to walk out the door when a Soft hand pulls me in a different direction. I am pulled into an office in the back of the restaurant. I finally look up to see Chelsea moving hair away from my face while taking her handkerchief and wiping my tears. As long the way I must have broken down.

"Deep breathes girl. Deep breathes." She takes my hand and breathes deeply in front of me as if she is trying to coach me on what to do.

"I don't know what to say. I had no clue that any of you knew Tanner. I didn't even know that he had a brother. Is his last name Roth?" I say between the sobs that are now racking through my body.

"No. No, his last name is Snyder. Mae, honey I think that Tanner wasn't truthful about who he was with you." She has a pitying look on her face.

"Well, we did break up because he was cheating on me. I also never got to meet anyone in his family since he said he was an orphan. I never met his friends either. Holy shit I'm a complete moron for not figuring this out." I sink into the couch that is in the office and put my face into my hands.

"Mae, I don't believe anything that Declan said and I'm sure.." I cute her off.

"He didn't say a word one way or the other, Chelsea. He didn't even try to defend me he just stood there. That hurts, like a lot. I need to think. I'm going home. I will stop by and see you tomorrow after I get the cake set up. Please don't let this ruin your night. Go out there and be that beautiful and sexy bride that Xavier is waiting for." I dry my tears and smile at her.

I make my way out the back door and give Erica a call. The last thing I need tonight is to deal with Alex coming over and breaking my heart. I pray that doesn't happen but somewhere deep down that doubt creeps back in.

I hope that we're not done because even though I am hurt by what happened I still love him. I just hope he still loves me. Only time will tell.