Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Mae

After getting myself ready and actually putting forth the effort to look good, I stand waiting on the group to arrive. Hoping I don't look like a total loser for being early, I head into the bakery to "check something". This will give me an excuse if anyone notices how early I am.

Just as I make it inside I see a very nervous-looking Alex walk up. He starts checking his appearance in a nearby car window and I can't help but giggle a little. I was so nervous that I never thought about him feeling the same.

I walk out the door and stand behind him enjoying the fact that he is completely engrossed in checking his appearance. I give him a couple more seconds and then clear my throat.

"Please tell me you just walked up and didn't see any of that."He says as he quickly turns around.

"So would you rather I tell you the truth or boost your confidence?" I ask smirking.

"Confidence. Please." He says smirking back.

"I just got here and I didn't even realize that you were here," I say shrugging.

"And this is why we are going to get along just fine." We both start laughing as Xavier and Chelsea walk-up.

"Hey Alex, Mae. You guys ready to go and grab something to eat?" Xavier says wrapping his arm around Chelsea's shoulder.

The biggest reason I agreed to this date was so I could watch them together. People often choose a cake based on a design. Most of the time that design has nothing to do with them as a couple. I like to make the cake reflect the couple. A wedding is a celebration of two people becoming one and I want my cake to show that.

"I thought we could go to an Italian restaurant that Chelsea and I like. It's just a few blocks away." With that Xavier grabs her hand and leads the way.

Just watching what I have so far shows that he loves her more than she will ever know. Not that I think that she doesn't love him, it's just that his love is all-encompassing. He loves every part of her good and bad. She looks at him and I see in her eyes that he is her hero. It is almost as if he has saved her from something.

"Alex, could I ask you a question about those two?" I turn and ask as we're walking.

"Sure," He says not missing a beat.

"Has he saved her from something?" The look on Alex's face says it all. There is something that has happened. "You don't need to tell me details. Your face said all I needed to know."

"Why'd you ask"

"When I design a cake I try to think of that couple's love story. What sets them apart from every other couple? I want the cake to be a symbol of their story, their  love that they are sharing with their guests." I smile at him saying this.

"I never thought of it like that. It sounds amazing." He smiles back.

"It can be or it can be absolutely terrifying." I laugh at this. "Not every couple has a sharable love story. Some are just in it for the wrong reasons. That is when I struggle to make a cake."

"Ever you ever thought about designing your own cake?" Alex asks with some hesitance.

"I did once, but he made sure to ruin that. I haven't thought about it in a very long time. There has not been anyone worthy of having a love story with around." I give myself a self-deprecating smile.

"I know what you mean. Searched for years only to come up empty-handed. I just sat back and watched those two make their story." We both look forward to the two people we were talking about. They both have a smile on their face and I can see the love.