Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Mae

Over the last three hours, I have watched the ladies in my life act as they have never been out in public before. We went out to eat at my favorite Mexican restaurant because that is what I have been craving for days. I have to feed this child what he wants. Even though we are having a non-acholic party, these girls are acting crazy.

Everyone seems to get along well and really click. Chelsea has become a great friend, and she was having the time of her life telling crazy stories about Alex from high school. At this point, I am in tears laughing at all the stories that she is telling. People are staring in our direction, and it makes it all that much funnier.

"Katie, did you hear about what Mae walked into the other day in Alex's office?" Chelsea says while trying to hold back her giggles.

"No, what happened?" Katie is eating this up.

Chelsea begins telling the story of Stephanie. Rosetta is sitting there with her head in her hands remembering every horrible moment. I can't even look around the table as I hear all the laughing going on. Katie is having the time of her life, all at her brother's expense. We wind the dinner up and head to Erica's for the rest of the evening.

"Alright, ladies, so for the rest of the night, we are having a spa night and playing Ballbuster Pineta," Erica says, followed by squeals of excitement.

After a few more goofy hours of girl time, I am starting to feel it. Although it is getting easier, pregnancy is wiping me out. I look around and see that the girls are still going strong except for Rosetta me. I catch her eye, and she nods in understanding.

"Ladies, I'm taking little mommy home to get her beauty sleep," Rosetta announces.

With groans of disapproval and lots of hugs, Rosetta and I leave, heading for the house. We reach the house at eleven-thirty, and I head straight in. With the house to myself, I want to take a long soak in the tub and crash. I walk into my bedroom and immediately feel that I am not alone. The lamp by the side of the bed cuts on, and there sits a woman.

"I was wondering how long it was going to take you to get here." She says, and I recognize the voice.

"You're the woman from the shop. You came by to see what all the fuss was about." I say shocked.

"Good girl. But, you're forgetting that I am also the one that you saw Alex within his office." As soon as the words left her mouth, I felt my heart sink.

"So, are you here for Alex then?" I'm at a loss trying to figure out what is going on.

"Oh, no honey. I don't give two shits about Alex. I'm here for you and you alone." She smiles a sickening smile.

"Okay. So what can I do for you?" I'm trying to stay calm on the outside, but inside I am a wreck.

"I want to tell you a little story, so take a seat on that sofa." I do as she asks. "Good girl. So, where should I start? Oh, I know, I'll start from the beginning. I came by your bakery one Saturday and wanted to get a little treat for myself. It was almost closing time, and as I tried to open the door, this gorgeous man was locking the door. He took pity on me and let me come inside." Stephanie has a dreamy look on her face as she tells this. It seems that Max made an impression on her.

"He helped me get my treat, and we talked. He asked me out, and of course, I said yes. I mean, who could say no to that face. We went on several dates, and things were going great. The only issue was that he talked about his friend Mae all the time. Then came the moment when everything changed. I ask him to meet my parents."