Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Alex

I watch as Mae starts to walk away and it hits me like a ton of bricks. What the hell am I doing letting her walk away like that. I think the news left me in shock and I had no idea what was going on. I turn and look at Declan and Tanner and all I see is red. I want to kill them both for making such a scene and causing her pain.

"All three of you follow me. We are not doing this here!"Xavier whisper yells at us.

He takes us to one too the back seating areas and closes off the section to give us some privacy. He looks at me and gives the a look of try to stay calm. Calm is the last thing I am right now, but if I want the truth I need to think clearly.

"What in the hell is going on Tanner? And even think about lying because I already know what happened."

Tanner gulps and looks pale. Whatever he is going to say is going to piss me off more than I already am. Tanner has always been the trouble maker. Declan has always been protective of his brother and so we too tried to help and be friends with him.

"You heard what I said out there. He's never been engaged before, so it's obvious that you've got yourself a gold digger man." He smirks as he says this and it takes everything in my power to not hit him.

"Declan, I think you need to keep our damn mouth shut unless you want me to shut it for you! Tanner, come on man talk to us." I say.

"I was engaged to her," Tanner mumbled.

"What the hell?" Declan yells.

"She thought my name was Tanner Roth. I never introduced her to anyone, but I was with her for years. I cheated on her the entire time, and it was just a game to me until I got caught and realized that I did love her. She was perfect in every way. I just wanted to have some fun messing around to see what it would be like to be engaged." At this point, I can't control it anymore and I punch him in the gut.

"I didn't hit your face because we have a bride that will kill us all if we ruin her pictures tomorrow," I say. "How could you do that to someone? She thought you were in love with her and was in love with you. She was willing to marry you. What is wrong with you?"

"I didn't say I was proud of it! What does it matter anyway? She's with you for now until you're tired of her and then I'll be able to get her back." Tanner says shrugging his shoulders.

"Are you serious right now?" Declan says.

"Yeah, I mean we all know Alex never gets serious about a girl, and he rarely dates. When he does, it never lasts long. I still love her, and I'm sure after Alex dumps her, she will be willing to give e another chance."

"There is a major flaw in that plan because I love her, and I'm not going to let her go. I don't think that even if we broke up she would ever go back to you. You unforgivably hurt her. She is not as naive to the world that she would fall for your crap again."

The door opens and in walks Chelsea.  From the look on her face, she is furious, and that never leads to anything good. She goes and stands by Xavier and she looks over at me. her face is a mixture of pity and anger.

"Mae has left for the evening and I hope that you are all proud of yourselves. Tanner and Declan you are complete assholes and I don't want to even look at the two of you. Alex, even though you didn't do anything wrong you didn't do the one thing she needed the most. She needed you to defend her. You may have done it here with them but she didn't hear it. She feels hurt all over again by Tanner and now she feels like she may lose you." Chelsea sighs at the end.

"I would never leave her. I was so shocked that I couldn't think straight until I saw her walking away. I would believe her over anyone!" I end up yelling at the end.

"Then you should let her know that. I would give her some time tonight. She would be upset if she knew that you left early. She is just that way." Chelsea says smiling.

*******
The rehearsal ends and I head straight to Mae's. The thoughts of her being upset and crying are tearing me apart. I want to comfort her and explain why I froze the way I did. I have to let her know that I believe her.

I knock on the door and get no answer. Maybe she is in the bedroom and can't hear the door. I use my key and head in only to find the place empty. I start to panic and pull my phone out. It rings and gets sent to voice mail. I immediately call back.

"Alex, it's Erica."  Does Erica have her phone?

"Where's Mae? Is she ok? Is she hurt? Where...."

"She's safe so calm down. She is with me. She's just very upset as you can imagine." She has a comforting voice which hopefully means that she isn't going to try and kill me for hurting her friend.

"Is she angry with me?" I ask the question that I'm dying to know the answer to.

"No. I don't think she's angry. I think she is hurt a little, but she's more worried that you don't believe her and that you're going to end things. She loves you so much that she can't handle the thought of losing you."

"I don't think I could ever leave her. I love her so much that it hurts sometimes. Is she asleep?" I ask knowing that it's late and she has been through a lot.

"Yeah, I gave her something to help her rest. She was pretty exhausted and upset. Give her tonight to rest and you'll get your chance to talk to her tomorrow. Good night Alex."

I leave knowing that she is at least safe and has her best friend there to comfort her. I drive home and walk into my home and notice how quiet it is. Mae and I have been staying the night at one or the others place ever since that first movie night.

The thoughts of sleeping without her are killing me. My dad keeps telling me that we are moving way too fast but I just feel like it's right. I can't imagine my life without her now. She is a part of every part of my life. I can't go more than a few minutes without thinking about her.

I look around again and a thought comes to me. Why should we continue to go back and forth between two places I should ask her to move in with me here in my house. Her apartment is nice but I own the house free and clear. We would have plenty of room and I would let her change anything she wants.

I seem to finally settle down and get ready for bed. I send a text to Mae telling her how much I love her and that I will tell her everything that she needs to hear tomorrow. I then text Xavier and tell him that I am sorry for all the problems.

I let my mind wander back to the bachelor party that we had a few nights ago. Xavier got super drunk and all he could talk about is how much he loved Chelsea and couldn't wait to marry her. Declan spent the evening trying to get into the waitress's pants and Tanner made out with a random girl.

All of these thoughts just lead me to one conclusion. My nights with Mae are worth more than anything to me. I love my friends but the scene of nightlife isn't fun anymore. I would rather stay on the couch watching movies with the most beautiful woman in the world.

As I drift off to sleep I think of her smiling face and how I want nothing more than to see it again in person.