Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Mae

After giving them plenty of time for their tasting I walk back into the room. I see smiles on everyone's face except for the mother. She has a scowl on her face that looks like someone had pissed in her corn flakes this morning. That in its self made me have hope that I would be working with this couple.

"I hope that you have had plenty of time for your tasting. Are there any questions that you have for me?" I always ask this because you never know what might be going through someone's head while they are tasting.

"Are you willing to work with us?" The bride to  be ask. She surprisingly has a smile on her face and I feel like I am meeting a completely different person than when I walked in here the first time.

"I would love to. As I said before I like to get to know the couple before we get a set design. Would you have time to let me ask a little about your relationship and each of you?" I do this to help me get a feel as to what the couple may want in a design. I like for their cakes to represent them as a couple so I learn as much as possible.

"How about tomorrow afternoon. We could go out on a double date?" The groom asks.

"I don't have a partner so that might not work," I say trying to keep my embarrassment down to a minimum.

"Perfect Alex doesn't either. You to can be our double date." The bride says.

I look over at Alex to see him as equally embarrassed as I am so I have no idea what to think. Does he even want to go out with me? Would he only do it as a favor to his friends? I'm not the most gorgeous woman on the planet but I don't think that I'm homely either, but he is quite good-looking and maybe way out of my league.

"You don't mind do you, Alex?" The groom looks at him with a smirk on his face.

"Not at all." He finally looks at me and smiles and I feel my heart skip a beat.

What the hell did I just get sucked into? I have given up the hunt for a man and now one is being tossed into my lap. Not only that but a hot guy is tossed into my lap. I smile back timidly and hope that no one can tell how uncomfortable I am at the moment.

"Greta how about we all met here about five tomorrow evening?" The bride said. I nod in agreement and then turn to head back into the main area of the bakery.

Rosetta takes the couple to the side and starts getting information about what they will need for the wedding and all the important details. I start to walk behind the counter when I fell a tap on my shoulder. I turn and find Alex standing there scratching the back of his neck.

"Hey, I hope that didn't make you too uncomfortable back there. I  hope you don't mind getting stuck with me?" He chuckles as he finishes as if he is trying to hide his nervousness.

"I'm good. I was just hoping you don't mind having me as your partner. You have to leagues above me." As soon as the words came out I slapped my hand over my mouth.

Sometimes I have no filter and I just say whatever pops into my head. this usually causes me to look like a complete ass and never ends well. I hear him burst into laughter and I feel myself relax just a little.

"Why on earth would you think that?" He is still laughing and he wipes a tear from his eye.

"Well, I mean..." I wave my arm back and forth between us signaling the old "look at the difference" thing. He starts laughing even more and now I am starting to wonder if he is just making fun of me.

"Trust me when I say that I am not what you think." He settles his laugh down some more. "I grew up in a middle-class house with three kids and I never thought of being connected to anything that was leagues above me." He air quoted that last statement.