Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Mae

My alarm goes off at six, and I feel like I've been hit by a truck. I look over at the other side of the bed and see Erica sleeping soundly. Even with the hurt, I feel there is a brightness in the day. I have the best friends that anyone could ask for.

Erica sat with me while I cried and gave me sound advice. When everything within me wanted to just give up and wallow in my self-pity, she gave me hope. I want things to be ok and for Alex and I to be together. But at this moment I have no idea what he is thinking.

I look at my phone and see that there are no missed called or messages. I guess that he is upset and doesn't want to talk to me at the moment. The thought hits me hard and the tears that I thought I had no more of come flooding back. I let them fall for a while and then realize that I have a busy day ahead of me.

I get myself ready and make some breakfast for myself and Erica. I leave her a plate in the microwave and write her a note.

On the way to the bakery, I take in the sights of the city in the early morning. I'm not usually one of these philosophical types but with all that happened last night, I am seeing things in a new light.

The sun is rising still in the sky, and it's gorgeous. I try to think of the last time that I watched a sunrise. It has to have been at least twenty years ago. I stopped taking the time to notice it. I got too busy with life and missed out on the small things.

When Tanner and I broke up, I was hurt and angry, but I didn't feel as broken as I do this time. Thinking that I may have lost Alex is the worst feeling in the world. My heart feels like it stopped beating last night, and it is just sitting on hold. I know that in just a few short hours my questions will be answered. The wait is killing me.

*********

"This by far has to be the best cake you have ever done!" Max yells as we are setting it up.

After spending time with Xavier and Chelsea, I chose the theme of a fairy tale. The story of how he saved her and how they have managed to be together through thick and thin made me think of him being her knight in shining armor. That lead to the idea of a magnificent castle.

There is a mote, a working gate, and even a knight and princess. Every detail has taken a lot of work, and it has been one of my favorite projects ever. When I first met her I didn't think that I would like Chelsea very much, but now that I have spent time with her I can see why Xavier loves her.

I step back and Max joins me to look at what we have created. A smile lights my face as I look at the castle. Max wraps his arm around me, and I lean my head on his shoulder. This morning was hard for me, and he has been my support the whole time. When I told him what happened he was furious.

Max never liked Tanner to begin with, so there is no surprise that he was angry that I saw him. Declan's words were something that I don't think Max will ever forgive. The lies that Tanner spun around me felt like a web and that he was the spider just waiting for his prey. I luckily escaped that web, but it may have cost me the love of my life.

"Mae. Baby, may I talk to you?" I tense as I hear his voice. The voice that I have been longing to hear.

Max and I turn around to see Alex standing there. His eyes have dark circles under them, and he seems a little pale. He is still in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, but it looks amazing on him. His face holds the look of hope. He seems almost desperate to talk to me.

"Why should she talk to you? You did nothing but stand there last night while your friend managed to insult every aspect of her character. " Max says in an even voice. He seems strangely calm considering how angry he is at Tanner and Declan.

"Because I want to apologize and explain that I was in shock. Tanner isn't the type of person to get engaged, so I was clueless that any of that ever happened." I look in his eyes, and all I see there is honesty.

"It's alright Max. I want to talk to him." I hug Max and then walk over to Alex. "Let's find somewhere a little more private. The last thing we need right now is a crowd of people watching us." We head to an empty meeting room to talk.

"Mae, I can't tell you how sorry I am. I know that you're hurt that I didn't say anything while you were standing there. I promise you that as soon as I realized what was going on, I did defend you. I know that doesn't make up for last night. Please don't end us over this!" He takes my hand in his, and I see the earnestness in his gaze.

This man standing before me is terrified that I am going to leave him. Part of me feels sorry for him, and part of me thinks that he deserves this. I think back on how I felt last night when I thought that I would lose him. That feeling is something that I wouldn't wish on my enemy. I know that I shouldn't let him off easy, but at the same time, I don't want him to suffer just because he was in shock.

"Alex, I'm not going anywhere. But I need to know that you will have my back. It hurt to have to stand there and listen to your friend say those things about me and to see you just stand there and listen. I know you were shocked, but I also know that you should trust me to never lie to you." I say the last part in almost a whisper as I feel the tears starting to come back.

"I know Baby. I will spend the rest of my life making it up to you. I do trust you. Last night when I went to your apartment and you weren't there, I felt so lost without you. Then I went home and realized that I haven't spent a night without you in so long that I had no idea how to function."

He lifts my hand to his mouth and kisses it slowly. He looks deep into my eyes, and all I can see is love and remorse. He is beyond sorry for his actions, and I can't bear to watch him hurt. I pull him into a hug and snuggle myself into his arms.

"Move in with me? Put me out of my misery and be with me every day." He whispers into my ear.

"What?" I gasp out. Did he just as me to move in with him. He pulls back and looks me in the eye.

"Move in with me. I know I messed up yesterday, but I love you with every ounce of my being. Let me spend my life making it up to you." His sincerity is showing through his eyes.

"Are you sure? I mean we have only been dating a few months, and your friends already doubt me and..." He cuts me off.

"No one doubts you and I could care less how long we have been dating in terms of when we live together. All I know is that I love you, and I want to wake up with you every day. I want to fall asleep with you every night. I want to start building a life together. Mae, you are it for me. Game over. I'm done. You're never getting rid of me." He chuckles as he says this.

"Alright, let's do it."

He breaks into a breathtaking smile and picks me up, and spins us around. He kisses me and hugs me as tight as he can without hurting me. I feel tears spring to my eye, and I smile just as brightly as he does. Our lives are changes fast, but it is worth it.

"Do you still want to come today?" He asks with worried eyes.

"Yeah. I'm not letting Chelsea down. She has become a great friend, and I want to share in her happiness. Tanner will have to just get over himself and stay out of my way." I say trying to boost my confidence.

"Once the service is over I won't leave your side. I protect you from everything. I promise."