Chapter 9

Maddie's Perspective:

I choose to get dressed really simple. Plain black tights and my long sleeved dark blue navy shirt. And I decide to do these black boots I have. For my makeup I put a layer of concealer on, and mascara. Since I have extra time, I decide to straighten my hair, which I almost never do.

I spray some vanilla body spray on as my final touch, and sit there on my sofa waiting. He rings the bell at exactly six pm.

When I open my door he's got a bouquet of pink tulip flowers, and a medium brown bag. He puts the tulips in my face. I grab them from him "Omg thanks. But I'm totally gonna cut the stems at an angle and put them in a vase. Come in, sit down."

As I start cutting the stems, and filling up water in a vase, Stacy and my mom come out from my moms room

As I start cutting the stems, and filling up water in a vase, Stacy and my mom come out from my moms room. I think Oh God. Stacy comes to him first "Omg hiiii Costello, we've heard all about you. I was actually the first one to tell Maddie to hop on the Costello train."

I think I might die of embarrassment. Costello chuckles "I actually brought you and Maddie's mom something." Stacy opens her mouth dramatically "You didn't." My comes up next "Oh honey, you really shouldn't have." She puts her hand out to him "I'm Maddie's mom, Nelly."

He shakes my moms hand "Nice to meet you Ma'am." When my mom shakes his hand, I see a strange expression on her face for about ten seconds, I see a similar expression on Costello's face, then they have casual smiles again. Costello takes out two little boxes out from the bag. He hands it to them. Stacy and my mom sit at the kitchen table and open their presents. He got a bracelet for both of them.

My mom looks up at him "Sweetheart, are these real gemstones?" Costello nods. My mom says "I can't accept this." Costello puts his hand on my moms arm "Ma'am please I got these for you, and you have no idea what you've already given me."

My mom and Costello look at each other with a look of deep understanding. Me and Stacy look at each other, with expressions that say (What the fuck does that mean?")

Suddenly Stacy interrupts the weird gaze that my mom and Costello are giving each other "Um Costello, I was wondering if you'd be able to come as Maddie's date to a wedding we'll both be attended tomorrow? See I already have a date from work, and Maddie's a loner....."

Before Stacy even finishes blabbering on Costello looks at her seriously "Yes I totally can." Stacy claps her hands together "Great. Thank you."

Costello looks at me intensely, I smile and say "You really don't have to do that, Stacy's just being pushy." Stacy looks up at me un bothered. Costello looks at me irritated "I want to Madeline." I say "Okay." quietly.

My mom suddenly says "Okay we're keeping you, go have fun." Costello grabs my hand gently "Have a good night guys." And walks with me, out the door. When we're near his car he lets my hand go.

Once I get in I say "Nice move with my mom." Costello chuckles "Heyyy I like giving things to people." I smile "Thanks for the flowers, I love Tulips." He starts driving "Really?" I nod, then say "So where are you taking me?" Costello laughs "You'll see when we get there."