Chapter 2

Maddie's Perspective:

I only worked a couple shifts a week now and had a lot of free time. Apart from writing when I felt like it my schedule was for the most part not very busy. My twenty second birthday had just passed a little over a week ago.

I loved this time of year, going towards the middle of September. The weather starts getting a little chilly, everyone starts pulling out their big scarfs, sweaters and toques. High school football games start happening, fanatics start preparing for Halloween. To me Fall seems like the time where everyone seems happy with something.

I was walking down a street in the hipster part of our city now. I had purposely asked the cab driver to drop me off about a ten minute walk away from the building where my Art Class took place once a week so I could enjoy the crisp air, and watch the people going on with their day, and feel the sun rays on my face, hair and clothes. 

The Art Class was taught by this really warm and funny character, he was a tall man, he had a contagious laugh, great facial features, could have been a model in his youth, he looked to be around sixty now. His art skills weren't that great, and he usually laughed at everything he painted,drew or sculpted.

He spoke to everyone so openly, it's like he was talking to his own children. And since all of the people here were under thirty, it felt kind of right.

Every time we got a new Student in our class he got all the other students to ask him or her one question each. I thought that was a fun thing, and it created a better atmosphere in the room. It made it feel like you weren't sitting with complete strangers.

Right now Taron was teaching us Freestyle Painting, which I really liked since I wasn't talented at most of the things he taught us, but this I thought I'd be better at since it was more about you finding a personal voice through abstract painting and less about it being great.

We were about five minutes into the class, when the rustic brown door opened gently and in walked an absolutely gorgeous guy. He looked to be around six feet, lean but muscular, strong arms, broad shoulders, his legs were completely in proportion to his upper body.

His hair a medium brown colour, and cut into a ivy league hairstyle, his eye brows shaped naturally sharp, his jawline sharp, his nose perfect, his lips plump and a pinkish colour. But his eyes, oh man his eyes seemed like they could look straight into you and find out your deepest secrets. A piercing blue colour.

Unlike me most of the people in this class were really into their art, and they'd literally get so into the zone that they wouldn't take their eyes off of their canvases for more then a handful of times. But I swear every student, tilted their head up or to the side to look at this guy.

He looked unbothered, and he exuded confidence. I was just about to look away, put my eyes back on my canvas where my terrible painting was when he moved his head a tiny bit to the left and met my eyes. I opened my mouth to take in a breath lightly, almost like a gasp. Even once I ripped my eyes away, he kept looking at me and smirked. What the hell was that?

Suddenly Taron said "Well hellooo young man, how can I help you?" I watched the exchange sneakily, the guy smiled with his perfect white teeth "Hi Sir, I'm here for the art class. I already registered online and everything."

Taron rose his eyebrows in delight, and grabbed a lonely chair from the corner of the room, and put it in the centre of all the students "Oh that's fantastic. Why don't you take a seat right here." The guy sat down, resting his right ankle on top of his his leg, near his left knee, no nervousness.

Taron said "So we have a rule in our class, whenever a new student comes in, all the other students ask them one question each. So there's twelve students, are you ready to answer their questions?"

The guy had a confident expression on "Yes I'd love too." Taron chuckled his outrageous chuckle "Ooooh sicuro di se, okay let us start from Mathew, then let's go around."

I think sicuro di se, means self confident. Mathew kept on painting as he asked "What's your name?" The guy looked in my direction like I asked him and not Mathew "Costello, and yours?" Mathew replied his name.

Then Rebecca asked "What's your favourite colour?" Costello answered Blue. Then David asked "Why did you come to this class?" Costello answered "I've always loved Art, and making art." Then Addie asked "Would you say you're good at making art?" Costello answered "I think I'm okay, but that's besides the point of art."

Lacie asked "What is your favourite painting?" Costello closed his eyes then opened them and smiled softly "Le Printemps by Pierre Auguste Cot." Taron's brows raised very subtly, as he sat on his chair by his desk in the corner.

Fuck I knew that one too, that was such a good choice for a painting

Fuck I knew that one too, that was such a good choice for a painting. It's the one where there's two young lovers on a swing in the woods and the girl has her arms around the boys neck and she's looking at him.

Then Carmen asked "Do you have a girlfriend?" Very subtly Costello's expression turned dark for a tiny second then went back to neutral. Wait was I the only one who caught that? He answered "No I don't." Then Tamra asked "Where do you live?" Costello looked bored "In the woods."

After Tamra I didn't care to hear what the other questions were, I was trying to come up with my own question that someone didn't already ask but was also slightly unique. Finally i had it.

Once the guy before me got his answer, Costello looks directly at me, like I have his full attention. I can see Taron finds this a tiny bit strange too. I ask "What's the most beautiful thing you've ever painted?"

Costello looks at me oddly "I'm beginning to think I've never painted it yet." I smile normally, and calmly start painting my terrible painting again like he didn't just say something intense."

I carry on pretending like I'm unbothered even though I feel like I've been set on fire by his words.

Even once Taron sets him up and he's focusing on his painting, It still feels like he's standing too close to me or something.

When it's fifteen minutes to class ending, Taron let's us clean up, and decide if we want to keep our work or throw it out, nine out of ten times I throw mine out. Once I'm done, i clean off the three brushes I used, and rinse and dry the cup.

I say a quick bye to Taron, and walk out to go down the stairs.

Once I'm outside the building, I text my mom that I'll be back later. And I decide I want a coffee and a croissant so I start walking slowly towards this coffee shop I love called CoffeeTime&Books. It's a fifteen minute walk but who cares.

When I'm about five minutes away from it someone taps my shoulder gently, I turn around and it's Costello with a smile that makes my knees weak.