Prologue

OMG guys!  Book four! Thanks for staying along for the ride. Rooster is going to be my baby!

********

"You've got to stop doing this," Pres muttered.

He hadn't stopped rubbing his eyes since I'd stepped into the room. I had been called in like the child I was, and it felt like I was in a principal's office.

"You're only sixteen, kid. Sleep in a little, drink a little," he trailed off. "Use what you have at your disposal."

"I will, Pres," I said quietly. I couldn't look him in the eye.

"The club took you in when you needed it. You can't be stepping into business you don't understand. Prospects don't do that," he explained. I clenched my hands into fists.

"Yes sir."

"Lastly; if you wake up at the ass crack of dawn, stay in your room. You've been waking up half the damn club when you're awake."

"Got it."

"Now scram," he waved, and I waited no longer to rush from his office with tears stinging my eyes. I passed several people cleaning up from the party last night and stomped up the stairs.

"Hey, you good?" Rider, the President's son, was passing me holding a broom and dust pan.

"Peachy," I scoffed. I thought slamming the door would stop him from following me. It didn't. The future president of the club was in my room and sat next to me in silence.

"He isn't the worst President," Rider started, "well...actually, he might be. Anyway, don't take anything he says to heart. He tends to not care about people."

"How do you deal with him?" I'd whispered. Rider sighed and clenched the trash bag he'd still been holding.

"I ignore him," he answered. My eyebrows rose.

"Short answer kind of guy, huh?"

"Listen. Once I take over, things are going to be different around here. Better. We just have to be patient. If you ever need anything, I've got your back," he promised. And unfortunately, sooner rather than later his promise had to come into place.

"What did I say, kid?" Pres' sleazy breath was blowing in my face. His grip was too tight on my shoulder, but I had to force myself not to look weak in front of the men he was with.

"Sir, I—" His grip tightened more, so I shut my mouth. In reality, I had just walked by their table on my way to the kitchen. I hadn't even overheard anything! "I told you...you need to stay in your business."

"Dad," Rider appeared out of nowhere and was smiling next to me.

"Get this bitch out of here," Pres shoved me towards his son and kicked at his chair. "That's your second strike."

"Let's go," Rider was quick to drag me away and back towards my room. How the fuck was I supposed to eat dinner?

"I'm hungry, man," I whined. "I just wanted to eat."

"I'll bring you some food. Lay low for a while. I don't know what he's going to do on the third strike," he muttered. I tried to smile in response, but it was fake. He left and I looked around the room, desperate for a solution. Once again, it was another place I didn't belong. I grabbed the only backpack I had and stuffed whatever I could find in it, including some cash I'd earned on runs.

I left my cut lying on the bed. With a quick jog out the back door, I was free. I didn't want to pay for a taxi with the amount of money I had, so I made the two-mile hike to the nearest hotel. The cheapest was a room that looked like it used to be a closet with a twin bed. The computer guy at the club—couldn't even tell you what his name was—wasn't good at his job. They wouldn't find me until at least tomorrow.

For the next couple weeks, I scrounged for a job and only spent money when I absolutely needed it. Eventually a kitchen opened. I worked as a dishwasher for three months before moving hotels.

I didn't see anyone from the club for two years. I had also never gotten a raise or moved from where I was. My hands were extensively cracked from all the water and soap it had been shoved in over the years, and I needed a damn haircut.

On one of the busiest days of the years, I was in water over my elbows and racing against time. I was definitely losing. All the sudden, the kitchen went quiet and when I turned around, it was completely empty.

What the hell? My eyes darted around the room, wondering if we closed early today for some reason, until I saw a figure dressed in black at the entrance. Were we being robbed? It wasn't that nice of a restaurant.

"It's nice to see you," a familiar voice said. Rider stepped out from the small shadow and into the light. He had a small beard now, but he didn't look much different. One glance at his shoulder and the badge on it had me gulping.

President. I had so many questions. Where to start?

"Uh, how have you been?" I took my hands out of the sudsy water and looked around for a towel. Why were there no towels around?

"Good. Well, as good as I could be. My dad passed away a couple months ago," he murmured. There was a gleam in his eye that told me he was better than when I'd left him. I wasn't surprised that the old Pres had passed away. He did a fair number of drugs without looking at the amount and liked to drive while high or drunk.

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"No you're not," he smirked. I would have to get used to seeing him as president. His dad did far more than three strikes to me, and I can't say I was disappointed he was gone.

"Why're you here?" My hands finally found a towel and rubbed them dry.

"I brought this," he muttered. He held up another piece of leather. A cut.

"I don't know," I tilted my head. I really was unsure. Did I even want to go back? My smelly hotel room said yes.

"Things are different now. Torch is my VP and...I thought of a name for ya," he turned his arm around and showed me the back. Rooster, it read. I rolled my eyes at the clear joke but grabbed it anyway.

"I'm not afraid to leave again," I warned.

"I know."

"Don't you see my lavish life?" I waved around me to the pile of dishes surrounding me. He laughed.

"How about free drinks for a month," he offered. I pretended to think about it before shaking his hand. "Welcome back, Rooster."

"Thank you."

"Let's go! I want to show you the club."

"Hold on," I sighed. "Let me finish these dishes first."

********

Welcome to Rooster!!