Morning Light| 8

I woke up with bright light streaming into my eyes. I looked up to see my mom's face towering over me.

"Morning mom." I greeted her nervously glancing over to Brandon.

My mom laughed. A sweet laugh. A laugh that I had been greeted many mornings in the past when I was a very young, little mer-girl. "Good morning my beautiful princess Layla." She said looking at my hand. Which was laced into Brandon's fingers.

How did that happen? I thought. Feeling a little panicked that my mother spotted me holding hands with a King in Training of the Atlantic Ocean. But the fingers connected to my fingers gripped my fingers steadily. As if saying, 'I'm not letting it go'.

"It's nothing mum." I said in a shaky voice. After all being a princess in all you have many duties. Especially when you're the princess of all seven seas. "We had pillow fight last night." I answered. "We fell asleep in this rubbish pile of Jelly Pillows."

"Is that so?" My mom hissed back.

"Yes, that is so." I replied.

That moment I caught my mom's sense right away. She's thinking I could be bonded to this boy. A King In Training, to become the king. Or of course my future lover. Thanks a lot for the understanding.

Bonding is......something that connects you, and that person. It gives you their inner feelings. Like you could read their mind by just staring in their eyes. To get bonded, all you have to do is kiss. One wrong kiss could change your whole entire life.

The thing is I want to rule by myself. I want to be Queen. An individual. Someone that is unique and would only stand by herself. Only one person. That is what I want. I'm not interested in loving. I want to rule by myself. When I was young I convinced my parents that I don't need an arranged marriage to be Queen. The part I haven't told them about is I wanted to prove that a girl, can rule her kingdom without a man. Good enough? Got any objections? Go ahead, I'll deal with you.

"Something with you two?" She asked staring into my eyes. Matching to her eyes. Yes, if you haven't known I have my mom's eyes.

"No, mom. Of course not. If he was the one I would've proven it." I said, lighting up a smile. I glanced over checking if Brandon is still sleeping. So far no one in the room had woken up yet.

"Ready?" Mom asked me. Her eyes shined with excitement.

I remembered when the time my mom met my dad. My mom. Princess of the faeries. Or fairies. Whatever. They met each each other by challenging each other to a combat. And yeah....start your own imagination. Long story.

"Yep!" I whispered excitedly matching my mother's mood. I unlaced Brandon's fingers easily this time. Gosh, I wonder why, I thought suspiciously.

My mom and I raced towards the training room. Yes, my mom and I also have that competitive blood. I won. Rare one. My mom always wins. With the flick of her tail she could cover 40 yards of ground. My average is 35 yards. My best? 105 yards. That is when I'm really hyper. Like insane hyper. Think about a princess being hyper, doesn't quite match huh? Well, but I'm the princess that matches that personality quite perfectly.

"You're quick now." My mom said, panting.

"Thanks mom." I grinned, gasping for air myself.

"Come one Layla." She started. "Summon your staff."

"I'm hungry." I said immediately. My stomach growled for food. Hunger filled my throat at once when I waved my hand to summon my staff.

"Layla. Wait until the others wake up." My mom said gently. Yeah, how can she act so Queen-like and while I still act like an annoying brat.