Chapter 14

Even though she had survived the mission she felt nothing, like a ghost whose punishment was to aimlessly wander earth for eternity. As Kita was heading towards her house and passed the guards she thought of what she wanted at that moment and it was not even going to bed, supposing once she falls asleep would have nightmares in which she would see faces of all people she had slayed.

She'd killed and every time she tried to remember how many she felt a pang in her chest. Not saying that Konoha had suffered casualties and many wounded, one of them was Ino Yamanaka's father and as medics had gotten to him they all had agreed that Inoichi demanded an immediate hospitalization. Luckily, Kakashi's wound had turned out to be not threatening to his life and Kita's uncle, Asuma was perfectly fine. Fight with Akatsuki members had cost all of them a lot of strength, currently Kita was on her chakra reserves and barely had managed to get home.

'KITA!' It was her mother's voice. For all that time Manami had been awaiting her daughter returning home but Kita did not spare her a single look, neither did she hear her grandfather say to Manami, 'I told you she would come back.'

'Kita!' Manami stood in front of her daughter and shook her gently, but still Kita did not look back, her eyes were fixed on her feet. 'Kita, talk to me! Are you hurt?' The girl only shook her head, then turned towards the staircase and headed to her room. 'Kita!' Manami called out after her, but the young kunoichi did not care. As she entered her room threw backpack and her armour onto the ground, allowed snakes to glide onto the floor and through open window outside for a hunt and she herself went to the bathroom however, even warm bath did not help. Nothing could help.

It was not the case Kita had not killed before, because she had killed Haku in Land of Waves but the boy had been dangerous and was the only one person she had killed in the past. Now, everything has changed. Kita was glad she could not sense any guard's chakra at home, her grandfather must have ordered them to leave, that was one of the things Kita had always begged him for.

Silently, the black-haired kunoichi went downstairs to the kitchen and started rummaging through cabinets with food, but as she came across two bottles filled with a transparent liquid she changed her mind. Took them and went back to her room, for the first time that night Kita tasted alcohol and even if after one sip it seemed awful, after couple of others taste did not matter. Seconds later she felt heat starting to form in her throat and before she knew she emptied the first bottle and was not about to stop.

Kita crawled into her bed with the bottle in her hand and looked outside, wondered whether her friends were sleeping, if any of her teammates could fall asleep that night. After a short while she concluded that it had been her first mission, not Kakashi's or her uncle's, or anyone else, it'd been hers and it was for her to handle feelings and sense of guilt. 'Kami fucking sama, you don't exist, do you?' she asked, looking at the ceiling while taking another sip from the bottle at the same time. One moment was enough as Kita closed her eyes and fell asleep, empty bottles of sake next to her.

No one bothered waking her up. Manami still remembered her first ANBU mission where she had had to kill many of the enemies, remembered impact it had had on her, she was aware that her daughter had also had to kill some of the shinobi and must have felt not only mentally but also physically exhausted. After all Kita and other Konoha shinobi that had taken part in the battle of Suna had had to face Akatsuki members, one of the most dangerous shinobi in the world.

Manami had decided to cancel all of her missions, if possible postpone them for later. Her daughter needed her although she might have not realised it yet, Manami knew simply being there for Kita would be a great help. The kunoichi was spending her spare time on finishing the Icha Icha Paradise and as usual, someone must have interrupted her, this time it was loud knocking on the door. 'Coming!' As Manami opened she saw a tall man wearing grey uniform and a cap with number 888-098. It was Ninja Postman.