chapter 4

Kita had been training Naruto for a week till the day of the exam and every time Naruto had the problem with the same technique: Clone Jutsu. Kita had tried to explain and teach Naruto that particular technique for last three days but it was the only technique Naruto hadn't been able to learn although Kita had explained to him in many ways and also by demonstration. They even met on the day of the exam at six in the morning to practice but without result.

Kita sighed afterwards and lay hand on Naruto's shoulder, both looked disappointed. 'Don't worry. Let's hope you can transform during exam' Kita said. As it had turned out, unfortunately, Clone Jutsu was the one everyone had to demonstrate in front of two examiners to pass the exam. 'Fingers crossed, Naruto,' she said as Naruto's name had been read out loud and he had been asked to come into the room next to the classroom where his peers were sitting in. 'Good luck.'

Naruto Uzumaki looked at his female friend and smiled. She seemed the only person to care and be worried about him. Naruto smiled at her, Kita smiled back and he left the classroom to face the examiners: Iruka sensei and Mizuki sensei. Kita had already passed the exam as it happened every year, before Naruto it had been Sasuke Uchiha who had left the room and who also had passed the exam. Kita still couldn't forget the moment when accidentally Naruto had kissed Sasuke. Unfortunately, as a result, Uzumaki had been beaten up by other than her girls and Kita knew that one of the worst things to do is to make girls angry.

Kita waited until Naruto left the classroom and instead of being happy he was rather angry but at the same time seemed extremely sad. At once, Kita knew what had happened: Naruto hadn't managed to perform the jutsu and hadn't passed the exam what meant that he was the only person in the whole group who wouldn't graduate from the Academy. 'Hey, don't worry,' said Kita, having approached him sitting on the swing in front of the building of the Academy. 'You'll try next year. We can train every day from now on.'

'No, I am hopeless. I'll never become Hokage, people will never respect me,' Naruto replied, looking down at the ground under his feet. 'Besides, you'll move on, be away on missions and I'll be still here.'

'Hey, Naruto,' Kita lay her hand on his shoulder and tried to cheer him up, 'the fact you failed doesn't mean anything. Everyone has the right to fail –'

'Yes but I am failing all the time! I have enough of this!' he shouted then got up abruptly and started running away towards the forest.

'NARUTO! NARUTO, WAIT!' but Uzumaki had already disappeared behind the trees. He would not listen to Kita at that time, he was too sad and too angry with himself. It was hard for Kita to imagine what Naruto was feeling, but whatever it was it was powerful. Resigned, Kita Sarutobi headed towards the headquarters of Hokage, on her way hearing the oh's and ah's from girls surrounding Sasuke Uchiha. 'They never leave him alone. Eh,' she thought, turning her eyes away from the group of people.

'What is it?' asked the ANBU shinobi guarding the entrance to Hokage's office after he had seen Kita heading towards him.

'I need to see him.'

'Hokage-sama is busy,' said he. Kita looked away towards the window to notice birds behind it, then scratched her head and looked yet again at the guard with terrifying coolness in her eyes.

'I'm sure he'll find five minutes for his granddaughter. Now, open the door.' The petrifying coolness was also in her voice. The ANBU member did not dare protest, obediently opened the door and let Kita in. The kunoichi smirked, then entered the office.

Hiruzen was standing at the window, admiring the mountains of Konohagakure. As the door opened he had not turned around, he had recognised his granddaughter's chakra at the moment she had stood in front of his office. Kita waited until the door closed and looked around: everything was clean, at its own rightful place. The desk was piled with papers and scrolls. Kita also noticed two pictures on the desk and of course, the crystal ball.