Seventeen: Intruder

Waiting until the bell at that point was insane. Trust me, if you were looking at Isla and I across the class you would’ve thought someone had put ants in our pants.

After we heard the glorious sound echo its way out of the muffled speakers, we grabbed each Guardian member without hesitation and dragged them all outside. The members who Isla had grabbed were looking at her like she had four eyes; none of them knew she had become the newest member of our little brigade, let alone why one of the now old Nega members was taking them someplace, but they spotted me doing the same actions down the hall and went with the flow.

I kicked open the door (which was made with god only knows what kind of metal) and sent it flying into the rubber door stopper which was attached to the brick wall on the other side of the exit. As it made a huge rattling sound due to the impact, it began to close ever so quickly, making me yank the chain of people out of the narrowing gap. I heard a few gasps as I let go after they continued to stumble out onto the pavement.

Isla brought her disbanded chain of people over to join my group, which included Mei and Eric. I ended up dragging out Melissa and Annabelle.

“What’s up this time...?” Melissa muttered under her breath.

“Aspen and I wanted to chat with you all, so we’re heading somewhere that’s slightly private. We just kind of yanked you all out of your own little plans, so for that I, err, we apologise.” Isla blurted without any sort of restraint. Her baggy, dark pink long sleeve blew and rustled as gusts of warm, early summer air blew against it. For bottoms, she wore a pair of floral print leggings with some TOMS on her feet.

I spoke up as we turned the corner. “Yeah, sorry about that...” I shrugged my shoulders, grinning, trying to stifle a shy giggle. “Also, you might be wondering why Isla is joining us at the moment. We’ll explain more when we find someplace to discuss.”

Everyone listened attentively without a word of reply, continuing to follow mine and Isla’s footsteps. I spotted an area in-between two trees, so I pointed to show the others as we all headed in that direction.

As we joined into a circle, I spoke my thoughts aloud. “Why do I feel like I’m experiencing some sort of major déjà vu right now...?” I mumbled, rolling my eyes with yet another joking smirk.

Thankfully, Natsia was able to join us for the conversation this time, although I still do wonder where she might’ve wandered off to the last time the Guardians banded together for a little pep talk. She popped out and started yawning obnoxiously with her arms above her head, stretching like she just woke up. She dropped them to her side after all of our eyes cast an awkward gaze on her.

“Oh, uh, sorry... well, I’m here!” She exclaimed. Everyone laughed, obviously not meaning the cold stares they had just given her.

“Right,” Isla cleared her throat, speaking up. “Well, first orders of business. I’ve decided to join you Guardians in the fight against Logan.”

Annabelle interrupted, speaking up about her confusion. “Right, I can believe you, but what’s the catch?”

Isla shook her head, sighing. “You guys can be really uptight sometimes, no offense... But nope, no catch, I mean this sincerely. Like I said to Aspen back in the class, I’m on my own mission. I want my original purified Ribbon back, and that’s why I’ve decided to help out. I’ve done some pretty nasty things to all of you, and I guess I could say this is one of my methods of apology.”

Nat chimed in, standing up for what Isla had put out there. “She’s telling the truth. Not trying to sound creepy in any way, well, uh, it is my job to watch over you guys, but I’ve seen her purified Ribbon begin to start revealing itself more often as of this week. She really does want this.” She smiled, looking into Isla’s chocolate brown eyes. Isla nodded out of appreciation and thanks.