Sixteen: Distorted Dreams

Going home that evening was not the easiest thing to do. I would've gladly stayed at Annabelle's for a little while and hung out with her. The main reason...? I needed to let a lot of words out.

Now, I know you could just walk up to me and hit me on the forehead like they do in those V8 commercials when you 'should have had one'. I could just talk to Natsia, but I just have that urge to talk to the other Guardians and just let someone I know really well hear me out. I have nothing against Nat, but for some odd reason we're still not super 'joined at the hip'... well, if you know what I mean.

I was able to face the rest of my family as I normally am, easily able to hide any evidence of today's somewhat horrifying events. Eric, Annabelle, Nat and I had run to the park before we gradually went to our respective residences, and Nat worked her magic by healing our wounds. Have I ever thought about repaying her? Yes, but that time would come when we ended this damn chaos. Trust me; the burden got heavier and heavier as we managed to get through each fight. Sigh.

As I currently lay in bed, I began thinking to myself out of realization. Tomorrow it'll be one week.

One week that I had no idea whether it went by too quickly or two slow, to be honest. If this was how every week was going to be from now on, someone might as well kill me now...

It then wasn't too much longer that I woke up in a dream.

I was back at the mountain preparing to walk home, or so it seemed. I was at the very summit, the point of the drop off that you could see from the front face of the mountain. I couldn't recognize what time of day it was, mainly because the sky was monotonous. It almost reminded me of a greyscale print. The mountain was even a dull shade, but it still had tints of colour. Everything just seemed, well, plain...

Turning back slowly towards the rest area, where I knew I'd be safe, I slowly paced across the crumbling stone and dirt catwalk to the lone patch of grass. Melissa had materialized, oddly looking normal in her regular attire. Her long brown hair rested just off the ends of her shoulders. She was in full colour, no loss of tint to her complexion, even her clothing contrasted against the boring atmosphere.

"...Aspen, over here! Hi!" Melissa's voice echoed through the dead quiet area, still sounding full of life as always.

The situation seemed suspicious. I still continued my way over to Melissa still feeling some sort of trust, even though I can sense this dream could go absolutely haywire.

"Right, well... I'm here." I stood in the rest area in front of her. She stood up as well.

I bent to sit down, but she clutched my arm so suddenly I didn't even realize the pain of her nails almost digging into my skin. "Good. I needed someone to walk me home. My parents are waiting." She inched towards the edge of the inner curve of the mountain.

Okay. Well now I was scared.

"B-but, Lyss, the park is this way..." My voice trailed off as I pointed to the safe way down the mountain. Her nails dug even harder into my skin as I winced.

"Oh, silly," she scoffed. "You can fly, can't you? This'll be the easy way down."

"I'm not all too sure I want to fly you down there, Melissa..."

Her nails ceased digging as her hand left her tight grasp on me. I looked down at my arm which was now hosting deep indents into my skin, my feet shuffling in the opposite direction slowly.

"I said..." The form of Melissa began twisting and morphing into another human form I knew all too well. Logan looked at me directly in the eyes, grinning maliciously. Grabbing my arm again, with brute force he dragged me over to the edge I was also too familiar with. This was where I had fallen off last week. Balancing on the edge, facing the rocky terrain below, he let go of my arm yet again.