The Maze

Ananya

I know it. I feel it in my gut that this is the place we are meant to be.

I turn and look at the faces in front of me. I know they feel the hatred for him, as I had felt. I feel for what that Emperor Tarquin lost. I longed to live in a place where choices were honoured and there was mutual respect between people.

Logan takes my hand and speaks. "This is Cicero. And he is the perfect example of fire meeting ice. His obsession, his passion, his anger - all of that is fire. But the way he has been calculating, the coldness with which he killed innocents, children, his own nephews and nieces, how he brought the enemy back to his own home, it is as cold as ice. This is what is not as it seems. If you don't agree then we move on and look for something else... but decide now.."

"I think you are right." Becca says, her hands by her side, closed in tight fists. I can feel her anger.

"It is a possibility, yes. But why does the puzzle start with following the two? And why did you feel heat and cold wind coming your way if there is nothing here like that? Something doesn't add up." James says.

I feel so helpless. I look around trying to find some source of inspiration, when I notice that Xena isn't there.

"Where is Xena?" I ask them, alarmed.

All of them turn around and then start twisting everywhere.

"She was just here..." James says, looking worried.

Was this on purpose? She didn't run away. She wouldn't. she found James after three bloody years. There is no chance she would leave him here.

"Where is she!!!?" I am losing my fucking shit now. If any harm comes to her, I swear...I will kill everyone who fucking designed this place!

I turn to everyone, "This is part of the puzzle. Something tells me that she is stuck somewhere and it will be on us to free her. Lets try and solve the puzzle. Do you all agree that Cicero is the place where fire meets ice?"

They all nod. Good. That's good.

"Okay, what does it mean to focus on your dreams?" I ask them

"Liam, maybe it's your dream? Of brown eyes?" Logan tells him. We look at Liam next.

"Why? I found my brown eyes, didn't I? And I haven't had any other dream... anyone has any dreams?" Liam says.

"No."

"I didn't"

"Not me.."

Came the replies.

"Focus on your dreams. Not all is what it seems....." I murmur looking down.

"Liam, what if there is something your dreams had in addition to the eyes? Any voice? Any colour? Any background? Any message? Anything at all?" I ask him. I am grasping at straws. But I am terrified for Xena.

He closes his eyes. After a moment he opens them and shakes his head.

I turn, looking around. There are battles waging everywhere around us. Some people have their eyes open, some closed.

My gut says it is Liam's dream that we should focus on it.

Wait. My gut...

"Recite the puzzle to me again please.." I say

Ali recites it.

"Into the unknown, down the maze, listen to your gut and take the leap of faith... Liam my gut says it is your dream. Focus. What could it be? Describe it to us?" I hate asking him to divulge his dream to us, but we have no option.