Converging paths

4th October 2017

Liam, UK

"Okay. So the plan is that we all will go for the hike at Sterling Ranges the day after the event? The 15th?" I ask Alisha, as she excitedly tells us what she is planning. Logan, She and I are on a con-call. She has managed to snag spots for Ananya, Becca and herself in the same hike that Logan had booked. Though I don't understand what the deal with booking a hike is. You just start walking. Don't you?

"Yes yes. It will be so much fun. Oh Liam, both of them have been through so much. I am so glad you found the budget for their travel to Australia. They are coming on the 7th. I'm so excited."

I smile too. Her enthusiasm, infectious.

Logan tells her, "Okay, so we'll see you on the 15th then. We arrive on the 14th. We arranged for earlier flights when we realized this girls' days out plan for us."

I smile, as she bursts into laughter.

Then she sobers up and I feel the shift in the mood immediately. I wait for her to say what's on her mind.

"I just .. I don't know. You and Logan have been as good as brothers to me and I have felt a connection with you guys at a much deeper level. So I just wanted to say that this hike is more than just a hike to me. It is a way of finding myself back..."

It's true. The three of us have become really good friends. We have met on and off at official gatherings. I can only imagine the shenanigans we could get into if we were posted in the same office.

"What do you mean Ali? Everything okay? You are not planning on resigning after coming back. Are you? Did you find your soul mate or some shit, and plan to go off with him into the sunset?" I tease her, trying desperately to lighten the mood.

She scoffs. "No. No man is taking me away from you all!" She laughs. "Okay I gotta go, I have a call with the India team. Hopefully everything is fine and on schedule."

"Bye."

"Bye."

We disconnect, and I can't help feeling worried about her. I don't know what it was. But she seemed to be deep in her own head. Baby girl...what are you thinking?

As if she would answer me.. I scoff at myself. And get back to work. I have too much to do before Logan and I leave.

*****

Same day

Alisha, Australia

As I enter my house, I see a shadow move in my peripheral vision and I let out a blood-curdling scream. I was about to turn and run when I was slammed hard against the wall. Only, the wall moves. I look behind me and see a mountain of a man, looking down at me. Costa. He holds a gun to my face and snarls "Shut up or I will blow your head off."

I clamp my mouth shut so fast that I can feel my teeth rattle with the force.

He gets in my face and says "You are running out of time Alisha. You need to pay Gareth what is owed to him, what your mother stole, and you need to do it now. He has decided to put you in the trade."

All the blood rushes out of my face. Everyone knows what the trade is. Flesh trade. He is going to place me there until he can recover his money from me that way. I whimper in fear.