We follow

🜃 James 🜃

I can see it clearly. The bastards raping my sister.

Them trashing my house and gagging my parents.

Fuck fuck fuck! How do I get away? This has already happened. I am over it.

I am on my knees, choking. I cannot go down that route again. I cannot relive it. No no No. But these shadows are insistent on showing me scenes and glimpses from that night.

I hear my little niece crying for her mom.

I feel my blood boiling.

"You are making a huge mistake Nicholas. You might be special ops. But nothing could save you from me. And I know how to hurt you..... It is going to be your loved ones who will pay the price."

They always say that. The criminals always said stupid things like that. It was the biggest hostage rescue we had ever done. An entire hotel had been hijacked. Why? Because the smugglers wanted the Government to release the hijacker's father and brother from prison. We had managed to rescue the hostages. Which meant the Bastard lost his leverage. We all knew, his father and his brother, who were imprisoned for acts of terrorism in Sydney and Melbourne, would be executed sooner than planned, so as to take all leverage from him. And he knew it too. He escaped, but not before delivering this threat to me; because I was the team leader.

It's funny, after many years in the active service you think you're invincible. Until you aren't.

They had made good on their promise.

They had destroyed me. The Government had put a protection detail around my house. All of them were killed too. Three of them were my best friends, we'd served together. They were killed, honoring me and protecting my family. But the bastards had come from all sides in the dead of the night. Killing and slaughtering everyone.

My mother is trying to defend herself.

No. What good son was I, that I couldn't even save my own family. What did standing on this side of the fence do for me? Nothing. FUUUUUUCK!!

My brother is being stabbed, 11 times.

Because 11 of the motherfucker's team members were killed by me.

Fuck what do I do.

I find myself crying into the ground. The visions won't go away. The pain does not stop. The self loathing doesn't disappear.

****

Becca

I am still crawling through the cave. I keep looking up to make sure I can still see the star.

Took a wrong left turn three minutes back. When I looked up at the sky, I couldn't see the star. So, I crawled back. It's fucking difficult crawling around in tight spaces. Especially in a cave. Where the surface of the floor is not smooth.

I go through another opening. I look up to see the star. I Cannot see it.

Fuck.

I crawl back.

Coming into the previous chamber I look up to find the guiding star again.

I look around for more other openings and find one small one on the far left corner. I crawl in and it is the tightest of spaces I have ever found myself in.