13

CECILIA ADAMS

it's last period. i just need to get through the day.

im sitting with josh. we've planned our outfits for prom. we're going to look amazing. well... he will.

we rented the outfits.

i'm wearing a spaghetti-strapped, satin, maxi dress which has a cut at the front revealing my whole right leg, how i'll cover up whip scars and bruises i don't know but i'll find a way.

josh is wearing a casual suit with a red corsage which highlights his perfect, clear, dark skin and my dress.

he really is very pretty.

no. i cannot be thinking about josh romantically, he's a friend. besides, we've gotten really close this past week and we wouldn't want to ruin that.

"how much is the dress?" he asks casually as he starts packing up his things in his backpack.

i've already packed up my things.

i raise an eyebrow and eye him suspiciously, "your suit is $120."

he rolls his eyes. "i know, but i asked how much is your dress."

i avoid eye contact. i can't pay for the dress, but i can take out my college savings and maybe get a better job than babysitting every now and then.

"josh," i start and smile at him. i place my hand on his shoulder. "i'm fine, really."

he wants to pay for me. i really am appreciative but i can't accept it. it's expensive and i'm not even going to keep the dress.

"how much, cece?"

"$140." i tell him giving up.

he grins at me and the bell rings. "i'll see you later, have fun in detention."

thanks for reminding me.

***

"i see you're early ms. adams." mr sebston, the teacher on duty for detention, tells me.

i nod and take a seat at the front. i take out my comfort read, "The Hating Game" by Sally Thorne and open it to chapter one.

this is the 5th time rereading it and i never seem to get bored. there's a reason why it's my comfort read. the writing style is so unique and exquisite and joshua is my ultimate book boyfriend.

i have a theory. hating someone feels disturbingly similar to being in love with them.

i read with a smile to myself. a few lines down it then says,

both love and hate are mirror versions of the same game— and you have to win.

the quotes in this book are absolutely beautiful, they're short and simple yet informative and descriptive.

although i can't relate to the plot of this amazing masterpiece, i can however relate to lucy. she's smart, petite, reliable, elegant and loved by all. well, loved by most i believe.

i really am only hated by my father [when he's drunk], his brother who i am too ashamed to call my uncle but that's for another time to talk about, samuel and his followers.

the rest don't have a problem with me, they're just all bitchy and just dig for drama because they're bored with their lives.

i grew up with rumours being spread about me, mostly made by samuel.

but i'm not going to sit and cry about it, there's people that are dying and at the end of the day you gotta realise that when school ends, these people that try to make your life miserable are going to be picking up dog shit for a living.