XIII. Expectations vs. Reality (Role Models)

"In my eyes, someone who actually cares about others and acknowledges their flaws is a good role model. They make mistakes and wish to make up for it, but it doesn't make them irredeemable. It's best to admire an edgy person telling kids to stay out of trouble than a two-faced celebrity who burns bridges."

- 日光春
Haru Nikko

Many young minds nowadays are spoiled with the idea that if any esteemed idol — or author — is shown to be nice and stable, they deserve success. Their role models should have everything figured out and never make mistakes.
    The only problem is when people expect too much. It's a shame they'd 'unfollow' once their expectations aren't met.

I remember loosing followers because they disagree with my posts, fail to receive updates in a week and some of them never gave my works a chance.
It bothers me how speaking about one's feelings can tarnish their career, upset others and be deprived of opportunities in the future.
    It's an isolating mindset at large and gives the wrong idea that anyone with a neurotic personality are unfit to be professional writers. They are treated like social pariahs by disconcerted adults who believe their existence is setting a bad example to children and should be locked away.
Let's not forget everyone on Wattpad hails from different cultures. If you grew up in a culture where conformity is important, chances are these role models can behave and think differently to you. Each one is unique so it's pointless to pit me with someone else like, "How come that writer with a million followers got to be a billionaire (thanks to the power of friendship) while Haru, an uninhibited person with only a hundred followers, lives off welfare yet has over a thousand readers like WUUUT?!"
    Always know whom you're following on Wattpad. As a true fan, you'd continue to support and appreciate them until the end.

So what did we learn here, folks?

1) People are allowed to talk about their personal struggles, opinions and emotions.

2) Your circumstances don't define you, but the kind of path you chose sure does.

3) Always celebrate other people's uniqueness instead of isolating them or pitting them with one another.

4) A true fan is able to see their role model's redeeming qualities and stick around.

5) Careers only end if you're involved in a crime/scandal or purposely upset others with your attitude.