Chapter 15

"Would you like me to call someone?" The nurse asked me.
Finally I'd gotten my breathing under control, although I wasn't great at least I was getting air.
The doctor had come in, threatened me with the sedation and intubation again, given me a shot and waited until I'd calmed down.
I nodded.
"Your fiancé?"
I shook my head. "Matt." I croaked.
"The good looking one?"
I smiled and nodded, damn yes, he was good looking.
"Mhmmm I see how it is. I'll call him sweety. You rest."
I watched her walk out and I closed my eye's, I wanted to rest, but I wanted Matt.
A short time later she came back in. "He's on his way."
I smiled and nodded, good, I was glad.
A short time later he walked in, it didn't take him long to get here, but it felt like an eternity to me.
"You're not getting better." He said sitting down.
I nodded, I wanted to talk, I just didn't have the energy.
"You know you need to find a new job right Mikayla." He told me. "You can't keep doing this."
"I know." I whispered.
He opened his mouth to say something else but his phone interrupted us.
"Hang on." He said to me. "April. Hey.....the hospital.....I know we had plans."
He looked at me and rolled his eyes. "I don't know.....no........yes she is." He started sounding snappy. "Well what would you like me to do........fine then......whatever......bye."
I watched him shove the phone back in his pocket and he looked at me and smiled.
"Relationships are overrated." He told me sitting down.
I nodded. I completely agreed with that.
"Now what are we going to do with you?" He took my hand.
"Just stay." I whispered.
"I'm not going anywhere Mikayla."
I closed my eye's, relaxing now he was here. I let myself drift but I was aware of Matt. I felt him brush a stand of my hair of my cheek and I opened my eye's again.
He was leaning over me, so close. I smiled at him and pulled the oxygen mask down.
"Thank you Matt." I whispered.
"It's fine." He murmured, kissing my forehead.
The door suddenly opened and Marc and April were standing there.
Marc flicked on the light. "This looks cosy."
"Don't start." Matt warned him.
"What's going on?" April asked.
"I'm sitting with my friend."
Friend. I hated that word.
"Looks a little more than friendly." Marc said, approaching my bed.
"Please." I whispered, grabbing Matt tighter.
"Look Marc, think what you want but Mikayla is very sick, I'm staying here, I'm not moving from here and when she can go home I'll be the one taking her, you can like it or not but that's what's going on."
Marc looked at him. "Is that so?"
"Yes that's so and you know what else, tell your boss she quits, she's not going back to that job, it's the reason she's here."
"You can't speak for her." Marc blustered.
"Matt, really." April piped in.
"Well I am speaking for her. I've known Mikayla forever, I know what's best for her, I know what she needs."
"Alright, alright." The grumpy nurses snapped, walking in. "There is too many people and too much noise. Who's leaving?"
Matt and Marc glared at eachother.
"Mikayla?" Marc asked.
I didn't speak, I just grabbed onto Matt's hand with my other hand, holding it tightly.
"I see." Marc said, turning and walking out.
"I guess I'll see you at home." April said awkwardly.
"I don't know when that will be." Matt told her.
She didn't answer, she just turned and left as well.
"Looks like it's me and you again Mickey, the way I like it." Matt said softly. "Zero complications."
I smiled and closed my eye's, not to sleep, so he couldn't see what was surely showing on my face.
No complications, what a joke.
I think I was in love with him.