Chapter 11 - You Are Beautiful

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry's POV

I'm feeling better ever since you've known me,

I was a lonely soul but that's the old me.

I couldn't move, I couldn't even feel the tips of my fingers. They were completely numb as we drifted up and I watched the ground become farther and farther away. Even with Calla by my side, my fear controlled me like a puppet on strings. She still held my hand, her thumb rubbing circles on the back of mine reassuringly, but that only slightly eased my nerves.

"Just focus on me, try not to look down," her fingers brushed my cheek, turning my head her way so I was looking at her and nothing else. She had promised me when we got on that she would protect me, and even jokingly, I believed her in that moment.

I glanced around worriedly when the ferris wheel came to a sudden pause. We were at the top, and from here I could see miles out into the country beyond the park. For an instant I forgot my fears and took in the beauty of the place, the lights of the far away city, the undisturbed landscape all around. And it wasn't just the scenery that was beautiful.

Calla was absorbing the view as well, awe prominent on her features. But I could only see her right then. The way her eyes reflected the fluorescents, they shined in a way all their own. How her plump lips slightly parted in her amazement was breathtaking in itself. The aroma of strawberries and vanilla I remembered from earlier was like a drug, drawing me in.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Her mouth forming the words was mesmerizing, and there wasn't another sound in the world my ears could hear.

"Yes, you are beautiful," it slipped out before I could stop it. But I didn't regret it, because it was true. My grip tightened a little on her hand, so our palms were perfectly pressed together. "You probably already know that, but I thought I'd say it anyway."

Her face turned a deeper red than it had been from the fierce wind and she reached up her free hand to cover her cheek. "No actually, no guy has ever told me that and I've never really thought of myself that way."

"Then obviously they're blind. And by the way, you look adorable when you blush." I lifted my hand to cover the one she was holding to her cheek.

"Harry, I need to tell y-"

The ferris wheel jerked forward a bit, interrupting her thought. This frustrated me, because I could her an urgent tone in her voice, like she was preparing herself to say something important. I pleaded with my eyes for her to go on, but the moment was gone for the time being. It would have to wait.

Arriving at the bottom, our waiting friends eyed us curiously. No longer facing each other but our hands still locked, we pulled them away slowly. I immediately felt like I was missing something when I let go, but it was too late to rewind. The park would close any minute, so just when I was starting to enjoy my night it had to be over.

Too soon we were back in the parking lot, the park shutting down behind us. We all said our goodbyes, none of us really too excited to leave, but the we had to go our separate ways. I watched before getting in our car as the girls started up theirs, headlights flashing. I looked down from the brightness and dug my hands deep into my pockets, protecting them from the sudden chill of the night air. My fingers grazed cool metal and I fished the object out; the necklace.

It was Calla's. I recalled the image of her from this morning, the guitar picks dangling from her neck. How could I forget?