Chapter 5 - The Fire Inside

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry's POV

She's got my heart tied in a knot

And my stomach in a whirl.

The first warning was that spark.

We were about to meet whoever Simon wanted to introduce us to, and I was actually interested and kind of anxious to see who it was. Judging from the way he was actually excited for this, I'm guessing this would be pretty important, which was the part that made me nervous. I started to bite my lower lip, a bad habit of mine that I had been trying to lose. So far I wasn't very successful.

I was at the very back of the group, following Louis, Niall, Liam, and then Zayn right in front of me. I kept my eyes on Louis leading the group, trying to catch his reaction. That was when I saw it again. That spark of hope, hiding in the depths of his eyes, waiting to become something more. But just like last time, within seconds, it was gone again. I was beginning to think I'd never get my old Boo Bear back.

I decided it was best not to watch other boys, because it would only worry me further. I didn't really know what I would find, and that little bit of hope I saw again in Lou gave me a strange, chilling feeling, some mix between wanting and not wanting to see at the same time. Instead, I just decided to stare at the floor like it was the most interesting thing in the world and continue to nibble away at my lip.

Each boy entered one at a time, but closely followed each other. Being the last to enter, I quietly closed the door and stood next to Zayn, who looked like he'd rather be anywhere else. The least he could do was look somewhat interested, but then I thought I really shouldn't be talking. I was the one who wouldn't even take his stare from the ground to look at anyone or anything.

In that moment, realizing that no matter how dreary things seemed or how uncomfortable I might be, it was rude to to keep avoiding people. I looked up and my breath caught in my throat. I was gazing into beautiful, crystal blue orbs that locked onto mine. They were staring at me with such an intensity I felt they could read my mind.

My gaze wandered only slightly, noting the way the eyes were framed by blonde hair, streaked through with black, straight as a stick. The typical blue eyes and blonde hair belonged to a girl who looked to be anything but typical. Rosy, full lips and faint freckles across the apples of her cheeks and the bridge of her nose accompanied her large mesmerizing eyes, which my green ones eventually found their way back to.

The girl broke the away from our locked gazes when Simon let out a cough, bringing my focus back to the now silent room, which a quick look over determined was filled by Simon, some of his assistants, and two girls I had never seen before.

I tried to catch her attention again, but her eyes wandered everywhere but near mine. The way she made me feel from a single look intrigued me, and I could feel my own spark. There was one difference between me and Louis though; his had looked to be just a flicker. Mine felt like a full fledged flame had been lit in my heart, leaving little room for my mind to do any real thinking.

When he knew he had everyone's attention, Simon pointed to each of us in turn, and then to the girls, introducing us as he went along, "Louis, Niall, Liam, Zayn, Harry, meet Carter and Calla, your new opening act for the world tour. Girls, meet One Direction."

So that was her name. Calla.

She was a petite little thing, but something in the back of my mind told me not underestimate her. Maybe it was the determined set of her face, or the strength her aura gave off. I don't know, but she still refused to look at me, and I wondered why. Did she get that same feeling I did? Probably not. It would be stupid to get my hopes up like that, but I couldn't resist the thought that she might have felt something, anything.

The boys and I gave our best smiles, in light of our current situations, and tried to be as welcoming of the girls as possible. I looked over at Louis, and even he was grinning, mainly at the other girl beside Calla. Carter, as Simon had called her, was also a small girl, but that was where the similarities ended. The blonde wore a casual style, and the brunette a little more dressed up if you will. Carter had shiny brown hair with hazel eyes that looked right back at my mate. She wore a slightly puzzled expression, but smiled anyway, and I saw her give Calla a nudge in the ribs. Calla forced a little smile onto her own face, but it never reached her eyes.

Carter was the first to get up and approach us. She came up to each one of us, and we gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Calla followed not too long after, working her way down the row of lads. I was last, and she took a hesitant step in my direction. Might as well go for it.

I closed the distance between us in one stride and wrapped my arms around her. She felt tiny and delicate in my arms, like if I squeezed her too tightly she might break. It was kind of nice for once, though. I was the tallest member of One Direction, and about a whole head taller then Calla, so when I enveloped her in my arms her cheek rested against my chest. For a second, I worried she might be able to hear the way my heart was pounding, but I just closed my eyes and let myself melt into the hug.

For some reason, I had this protective feeling towards hers, as if I were meant to take care of her and if anyone were to harm her, it was my job to make sure it didn't just slip by. The only other people I had ever really wanted to protect before were the boys and my family, so it was weird for me to react this way to a girl I just met minutes before.

I took a deep breath, taking in her perfume and finding vanilla and strawberries filling my nose. The very warmth of her body engulfed me and it felt, well, it just felt right. It doesn't matter how cliche that sounds because it was true.

Our embrace lasted a little longer than the others' had, but I didn't care. I didn't care what they thought, I just never wanted this moment to end. But like all good things in life, it did.

Her arms, which had been in a fierce grip around my torso, fell back to her sides and I let mine do the same, a little disappointed. Carter, the boys, and Simon were all staring us down, and this time it was my turn to avoid Calla's gaze. I felt uncomfortable under all the questioning eyes, and I thought Simon was saving me when he spoke, until I heard what he had to say.

"Boys, I've already told the girls that I expect you all to get to know each other before the tour starts, got it?"

"Yes Uncle Simon!" We all nodded obediently, even though I was a bit conflicted. We all took seats around the oval meeting table located in the very center of the room, Louis sitting right next to Carter, while I tried to find the farthest seat from Calla. I couldn't think straight being so near her, and I just needed to pick up my thoughts.

I wanted to get to know Calla more, find out if she really was avoiding me, and just learn more about her in general. But at the same time, no matter how much of a 'ladies man' people made me out to be, the way I felt in Calla's presence made me feel like an insecure boy with a school crush. Except this wasn't exactly a crush. In some indescribable way, it was so much more to me. I only knew her name, yet I was ready and willing to open up to her, and I wanted the same in return. 

Could she ever really like me back? And do I really even like her, or is it a heat of the moment thing? I wasn't sure, but I had one decision made up in my mind. I was going to stop being such a wuss and get some answers.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: So happy for the holidays! A very Merry Christmas or happy holidays as well as a happy New Years to everyone! Maybe for my sixteenth birthday (next Wednesday) could I get more comments or votes? It would mean the world to me and I'll love you forever!!!!!

On a side note, you should read my friend @TheBrightestEye 's new story, 'The Rules Are Simple.' It's amazing, go check it out!

I hope this story is getting a bit less boring... I like exclamation marks...    

     ~Keely xx