Chapter 5

It was late that evening when Maddy was called to attend the event celebrating the announcement of Xander's mate

It was late that evening when Maddy was called to attend the event celebrating the announcement of Xander's mate. It wasn't an event that Maddy wanted to celebrate, but she put on a smile for the sake of the others. The event was being held at night to give Maddy and the others some time to catch up with their sleep. Obviously, it wouldn't do if Xander fell asleep while the matefinder announced who his mate was. Besides, the werewolves worked better at night, under the influence of the moon.

Leia came over to Maddy's mini-house at about seven. The moment she entered, Leia shot Maddy a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry," she whispered.

"Sorry for what?" Maddy asked casually.

"I know you like him a lot."

Maddy sighed. "It's just like the crushes I have on fictional characters. Xander is just like a fictional character. He is a werewolf, an Alpha, and he looks good. I just need to read a new book to forget all about him," Maddy lied through her teeth.

Leia raised an eyebrow, giving Maddy an are-you-kidding-me look. "Uh-huh."

Maddy glanced at the bag that Leia had brought along with her. "You want to start with the make-up or do you want to be late to the event?"

Leia bumped her hip with Maddy's. "Just because Xander's is going to know who his mate is, doesn't mean you can't have fun."

A few minutes later, Alexa joined them. She too smiled sympathetically at Maddy but thankfully didn't say anything. Leia immediately started bustling around, directing everyone. Unlike in books where the girls go shopping and find the perfect dress for themselves, the three of them didn't have the luxury of going to pick dresses for themselves. The event was somewhat of an impromptu event so they had to make do with all the dresses that they already had. In less than fifteen minutes, the three girls managed to make a complete mess in the room.

"Remind me why we decided that Maddy's room was the best place to get ready?" Alexa complained as she fanned her face. Looking at Maddy, she said, "How do you even live here? We have to get you a new house. Something bigger and more spacious."

"It's fine," Maddy said. "I have gotten attached to this room."

Once the three of them managed to slip into their respective dresses and finished tying up their hair, Leia made Alexa and Maddy sit down on the bed. One by one, she did their makeup. She had just finished Maddy's makeup and was doing Alexa's when someone knocked on the door. Since the others were busy, Maddy went to open the door.

Standing in front of her was a suited and booted Jeremy and a Xander with so much of gel on his hair that Maddy was pretty sure that Diana had emptied the whole tube on his hair. His usually disheveled hair was brushed so properly that not even one hair was out of place. He was also wearing a very tight fitted suit that accentuated his broad shoulders and muscles. On anyone else, the fit would have looked ridiculous, but Xander somehow managed to pull it off. However, it was the look on Xander's face that made her crack up.

"Not another word," Xander warned.

Maddy had to press her lips to stop herself from laughing. Xander looked extremely uncomfortable and kept on shifting on his feet. Although this Xander looked hot and all, Maddy preferred the non-gelled and casual Xander better.

"What are you both doing here?" Maddy said, barely being able to control her laugh. "I thought Alexa told you both that we were directly going to go the place where the event was going to take place."

"But we got bored," Xander said. "So, we came here."

"He got bored," Jeremy said as he pointed his finger at Xander.

At that moment, Alexa joined Maddy to see who was at the door. Her makeup was done and she looked gorgeous. The moment her gaze landed on Xander's hair, she started laughing. And it wasn't the cute giggle that the girls did in the movies. It was full-fledged laugh where tears escaped her eyes and she couldn't stand straight.

Alexa held on to Maddy as she laughed. Meanwhile, Maddy was busy making sure that Alexa didn't start crying because of her laughter as that would spoil her makeup. Leia could become a serious hazard if you spoilt her carefully done makeup. Unfortunately, Maddy knew that from experience.

"Your... your hair," Alexa wheezed. "Oh my god. I have to thank mom for this."

Xander grumbled about stupid sisters as he glared at Alexa.

Soon, Leia too was done with her makeup. The five of them made their way to the place where the entire event was taking place. It was the same open area where the matefinder had been summoned when Maddy was first introduced to the werewolves. It seemed to be the place where all the main events took place as that was the only place where all the werewolves from the Amalthea pack could fit. The Callisto pack had left a few weeks ago, leaving only Tristan behind so the open area was big enough to fit everyone.

When they reached the open area, Maddy's jaw dropped open. Seemed like the werewolves had gone all out to make the ceremony as huge as possible. Chairs were set up and a temporary podium was kept in front of all the chairs. The podium was decorated with white flowers. There were poles set up all around the open area and a sheet overhead was placed in case it rained. Hanging from the poles were beautiful fairy lights that glowed softly since it was practically night by then. Even the trees were wrapped with golden fairy lights. The entire place looked positively magical.

Maddy held back the feeling of jealousy. This unknown girl would get everything she could possibly want. Xander would no longer spend as much time with Maddy as he did before. His mate would definitely not want Xander to spend any time with her after she found out about the fact that Maddy was Xander's first kiss. Hell, Maddy even felt sad about the fact that Xander would no longer use his cringey pick-up lines on her. Firmly pushing all the feelings away, Maddy put on a big smile as she looked around the entire place. Even if she didn't feel happy about the turn of events, the least she could do was pretend to be happy. 

A/N: Who do you think Xander's mate is?