Chapter 10

Maddy didn't see Xander the next day because he was preparing for the full moon or something

Maddy didn't see Xander the next day because he was preparing for the full moon or something. Other pack members from the Megaclite Pack were arriving and the entire place was bustling with activity. Along with Sophia, Leia too would be accepted into the pack. New packmates could only be included in the pack on a full moon and since Leia was in India during the last full moon, things got delayed.

On the bright side, Maddy didn't see a pissed Sophia threatening her for the whole day so Maddy assumed that Xander had heeded Maddy's advice and hadn't gone to Sophia with his absurd request. Maddy had been steadily avoiding Sophia. She was afraid that she would snap at Sophia or do something stupid. Maddy no longer had any control over her emotions when it came to Sophia and Xander.

Maddy made her way to Lila's library during the evening. She didn't want to talk to Xander or Sophia and there was no better way to ignore her problems than to immerse herself into the world of books.

Maddy entered the magical library using the wolf statue. As she looked around herself, she saw that once again, Lila had rearranged all the books in the library.

"Maddy!" Lila's squeaky voice shouted from one corner of the library.

Maddy walked to the corner and found Lila dusting some books.

"You were gone for a long time. What happened?" Lila asked.

"It's a long story but I did meet Ella, your bonded faerie," Maddy said, smiling when she saw the way Lila's eyes widened on hearing Ella's name.

Maddy started recounting the entire story. That was the third time she was reciting the story. First to Leia, then to Tristan and Justin, and now to Lila. By the time Maddy was done, she was out of breath.

"So that is why it's been a long time since you last saw me," Maddy said as she concluded the story.

"Wow," Lila said a little wide eyed.

Maddy and Lila chatted for some time more. When she remembered that she had to lock herself in her room before it was dark, she looked at the watch that she had specifically brought to keep track of the time. The moment she saw the time in the watch her eyes widened. She was late. Too late. There was merely one hour left for midnight, which meant that all the pack members must have already shifted. Maddy got up hurriedly and bid Lila a quick goodbye.

As she walked up the staircase to reach the ground level of the clubhouse, Maddy heard a loud howl coming from outside and all the hairs on the back of her neck stood up. She was supposed to be locked in her room. Instead, she was stuck inside the clubhouse.

Maddy decided that it was best to stay inside the building. The clubhouse was a little far away from her house so there were chances that she would encounter wolves before she could get to safety. Not to mention the fact that there was more than one pack out there. Along with the Amalthea Pack was Tristan and Leia from the Callisto Pack, and Bruce, Sophia, and other selected members from Megaclite Pack.

Maddy looked around herself. The clubhouse had one floor above the ground floor and one floor below the ground floor. Maddy considered hiding away in the magical library until morning. No one knew about the library so she would be the safest in there. However, she decided against it. After all, the time difference was the thing that had gotten Maddy into such a situation in the first place. Maddy didn't want to wake up only to learn that a week had already passed.

Maddy eyed the staircase leading to the floor above. That was the second-best place to hide. Even if any wolf did enter the clubhouse, Maddy would be able to see from the windows in that room, if there were any windows that is. Maddy walked up the stairs, curious to know what was there in the floor above. So far, she had used only four rooms in the clubhouse: the library, the meeting room, the cafeteria, and the room where there were many indoor games. All the rooms were in the ground floor except the library so Maddy had never gone to the floor above.

As Maddy reached the first floor, she saw that there were only two doors on that floor. One led to what looked like the bathroom. Maddy went to the second door and turned the handle. The door opened and she was hit with the delicious smell of food. Maddy looked around and found the switchboard. Turning the light on, she saw that the room was used as a kitchen. It was huge and had several huge vessels and stoves. Maddy didn't expect any less from a kitchen that cooked for about hundred wolves. She turned to the door, hoping to see some sort of locking mechanism but found nothing. Maddy sighed and closed it. No locking mechanism meant that Maddy would have to stay up and be alert the entire night.

Maddy inspected the interior of the kitchen. Thankfully, the room also had huge windows, and by huge, Maddy meant huge. They were larger than her, and upon looking through the window, Maddy had a clear view of the open courtyard where hundreds of wolves were present. Maddy was tempted to stay there and watch the show but she decided to check the room first. If any wolves did come, Maddy would want to be prepared. She didn't want to hurt the wolves as they weren't intentionally hurting her, but she didn't want to get hurt either which put her in a tricky situation.

Venturing deeper into the kitchen, Maddy found another door which was smaller than the door which led into the kitchen. Maddy twisted the handle and the door swung open. Maddy looked around the room but found it to be empty. She turned on the light in that room, and to her surprise, there was a staircase inside the room. Curious, Maddy started climbing down. When she finished descending the stairs, she saw a room that she was already familiar with: the cafeteria. So that was how the food was transported from the kitchen to the cafeteria, Maddy thought.

Maddy retraced her steps and once again, reached the kitchen. There were no chairs around that Maddy could use. She definitely didn't want to stand behind the window for the entire night so Maddy pushed a small table that was nearby and used it as a chair instead. Now all she had to do was keep herself awake and hope that no werewolves decided to make her their next meal.