Chapter 27

On the third floor, there were four rooms in total

On the third floor, there were four rooms in total. Maddy peered from behind Katie, trying to get a good look at the rooms. The third floor, like the previous floor, was square in shape with a huge square hold in the middle, leaving a border of about ten feet to move around. There was a railing around the hole to prevent people from falling down it. The four rooms were situated near the four corners of the square, so you had to walk across the border to get from one room to another.

"Can you stop fricking vibrating? What are you? A kid high on sugar?" Katie said and then turned back to face Xander's back, interrupting Maddy's observation.

Maddy glared holes at Katie's head. Sure, it was kind of was Maddy's fault that she was vibrating with excitement, but Katie could at least politely tell her to stop instead of snapping at her. The whole situation felt like it came straight from some action move like Mission Impossible. They were infiltrating enemy base, for goodness' sake! Maddy was bound to get excited.

"Move slowly," Xander whispered so softly that Maddy had to strain her ears to hear.

Xander started walking towards the room that was to their left, diagonally. A few feet away from the door, he stopped. "There is definitely someone in there. I can smell a werewolf and the scent is very fresh," Xander whispered. "Katie and I will go in while Maddy will stay outside, guarding the door."

Katie smirked at Maddy while Maddy scowled. "That is so not fair," she whisper-shouted. "Why does Katie get to go while I don't?"

Xander turned to Katie. "Could you give us a minute?"

Katie scoffed and rolled her eyes as she tiptoed her way towards the door.

"Look, this is not the time to argue. I need you to stay alert in case anyone barges in the room."

Maddy scowled. "We both know that no one is going to 'barge in'. You just think that I am not skilled enough because I am not a werewolf."

"Why would you think like that? I just want you to stay safe."

Maddy didn't reply. Scowling, she walked up to the door and slumped again the wall, careful not to make any noise. She crossed her arms and stood there with her scowl fixed on her face. When Xander tried to speak to her, she deepened her scowl. Xander got the idea and left her alone.

"Stupid, stupid werewolves," Maddy muttered as she glared at the floor as though it had offended her somehow. It was bad enough that Maddy got stuck with Katie. To make matters worse, Xander decided to go all overprotective and keep her safe as though she was a baby. She got to do the lame work.

Maddy was so occupied with drowning in self-pity that she almost didn't hear the soft creaking sound. Immediately, her eyes snapped away from the ground and she turned around trying to see from where the noise was coming from. There was no one in sight.

Maddy shuddered and wrapped her arms around herself. She felt as though someone was watching her. You know, the creepy feeling you get when you've stayed up too late at night because you were distracted by the laptop and now you're too scared to go to the bathroom to pee? Maddy slowly took out her dagger from her thigh holster. There was nothing to lose with being extra cautious. For all Maddy knew, the person who was watching her could be under some invisibility spell.

A minute later, Maddy once again heard the same creaking noise but this time it was louder. Maddy gripped her dagger tighter and turned around, trying to find the voice. When the creaking noise was heard the third time, Maddy was ready. She looked up. The sound seemed to come from there.

"There is a trap door," was all Maddy managed to mutter before a figure jumped out of the trap door.

Maddy wasn't prepared for someone jumping out of the ceiling cause let's be real, who is ever prepared for something like that? Before Maddy could even react, the said figure punched Maddy in the face. Maddy stumbled back as her left hand reflexively went to her face to see if her nose was broken. The figure was of a shirtless man who had the crazy look of a serial killer. Why he was shirtless, Maddy didn't know, but what she did know was that the shirtless man wouldn't hesitate to kill her if he got a chance. That thought seemed to get her out of her stupor.

Maddy focused on the man who was currently barreling towards her like a bull. At the last second, Maddy jumped to the right and tried to put as much distance as she could between herself and the man. Unfortunately, unlike a bull, the man didn't crash into the wall like Maddy hoped. He smoothly came to a stop and turned to face Maddy. He once again started running towards Maddy.

This time, Maddy didn't jump out of the way. She thrust the hand holding the dagger forward. Once again, the man swiftly danced out of the way. Maddy gritted her teeth and willed herself to move faster. There was no doubt that the man was a werewolf; a werewolf had perfect control over his speed.

Maddy ran towards the man and attempted to graze him. Like she expected, he easily moved away, but this time, Maddy was ready for it. She kicked him at the side of his stomach. The man took a step back because of the force and then grinned at Maddy. Maddy barely saw the man grabbed hold of Maddy, and Maddy let go of the dagger because of the sudden movement. The dagger fell with a loud clang. Maddy looked around, trying to find something, anything to defend herself. The man was about to throw her when Maddy punched his chin. The man let go of Maddy with a grunt and Maddy scrambled back.

There was nothing that Maddy could use as a weapon. She would have to use her own hands. The only good thing was the fact that the man couldn't use Maddy's dagger against her because it was made of silver. At least there's that, Maddy thought. The man walked up to the dagger with a huge smile on his face. The moment he picked it up, there was a literal hissing sound as steam started drifting up from his hand. The man let go of the dagger with a shout as he turned to Maddy with wide eyes.

"How? How did you? What are you?"

Maddy took advantage of the situation and tried to hit the man but apparently, pissed off werewolves were extremely fast. In the blink of the eye, the man had his hand which wasn't injured, wrapped around Maddy's throat. He picked her up effortlessly.

Maddy kicked the man's nuts. The man snarled and threw her as though she was nothing but trash. She landed on her butt, and she had to take a second to just breathe. Every part of her body was in pain. Her eyes darted towards the door. Why wasn't Xander coming to help? She could understand if Katie didn't bother, but Xander? Surely, they had made enough noise to alert everyone.

"You needn't worry. No one is coming to help you. The door is spelled to block sound," the man said as he approached Maddy like a predator would approach a wounded prey, which in this case, was pretty accurate. Suddenly, Maddy got an idea.

Just as the man bent down to punch Maddy, Maddy grabbed hold of the man's hand and using all the strength she could muster, she threw the werewolf to the right side. A few days ago, Maddy wouldn't have been able to pull such a move, but because of the number of crunches Nadine had made Maddy do, she was able to pull it off.

Just like what Nadine had Maddy practice a hundred times before, Maddy rolled to the right, and before the werewolf could get up, she punched him. And then punched him again. And then once again. She continued punching him until he passed out. Heaving a sigh of relief, Maddy then collapsed beside the unconscious man.