Chapter 19

Maddy's jaw dropped

Maddy's jaw dropped. "What do you mean I can't shift?" she asked, her voice rising a pitch higher so it sounded like a squeak.

"You have never shifted. I was wary that you would suddenly turn into a wolf during your teenage years which is when werewolves usually shift, but it never happened."

"Okay," Maddy said as she swallowed. "Maybe I have been cursed, which prevents me from shifting. Or maybe someone has captured my powers and is using them for doing bad things. Or maybe I have a very shy wolf."

Her mom gave her a very unamused look. "You need to face the truth at some point of time. That is another reason I never told you about werewolves. I knew it would simply get your hopes up and then crush it."

"If I can't shift into a wolf there is no point in being a werewolf. The word 'werewolf' literally has the word 'wolf' in it," Maddy complained.

"Well, you did get a heightened sense of smell."

"That just makes me sneeze a lot."

Her mom shrugged.

"Great," Maddy muttered. "The only thing I got from being a werewolf is a dust allergy. Just fantastic."

Maddy stormed to her room while her mom went to invite werewolves sitting in Tristan's car inside.

On entering her room, Maddy collapsed on her bed. Her room was a very pastel blue in color and her bed took up most of the space in her room and was placed against one wall, directly opposite to the door. She also had her closet and bedside table which were on either side of the bed. Opposite to her closet on the other corner of her room was her table. Maddy didn't know what the table was for as she always ended up doing all her studies on her bed anyway.

Maddy buried her face in one of her pillows and stayed there for some time. She had honestly thought that her life was perfect when her mom told her that she was a werewolf, but then life, like Miley Cyrus, came in like a wrecking ball and wrecked everything. Maddy kind of wished her mom never told her that she was a werewolf. Just like her mom said, for the few minutes before she knew that she couldn't shift, Maddy felt ecstatic and then everything came crashing down.

"Stupid, diluted werewolf blood," Maddy grumbled as she got up and threw the pillow, she had buried her face into moments ago, against a plain wall in her room. Hard.

"What did the pillow do to you?"

Maddy turned to find that Xander was standing at her door. "I heard about your... situation," he said as he walked inside her room and seated himself on Maddy's bed.

"Go away," Maddy said to him as she walked forward and picked up the pillow she had just thrown. Then she threw it at the wall again.

When she turned, she saw that Xander was still sitting on her bed. "I thought I told you to leave me alone."

"When women ask people to leave them alone, they don't actually mean that," Xander said as he puffed up his chest as though he was proud about the fact that he knew that.

"I really want you to leave," Maddy insisted.

Xander just made himself more comfortable on her bed by sleeping on it. "I know you don't want me to leave. I will be your emotional support. You needn't worry," Xander said as he puffed up his chest even more.

"Fine," Maddy said as she shrugged. "Suit yourself."

Maddy grabbed the pillow once again and started repeatedly hitting the pillow against the wall to release all her frustration. She had been shoving all her frustration away. She had been frustrated because she wasn't able to find out who the boss was. Then she had been frustrated because she wasn't Xander's mate It had turned into a dangerously huge pile and the news about her not being able to shift was the final straw. She needed to get rid of all the pent-up feelings inside her or she would combust and what better way to do it than to repeatedly slam her pillow against the wall, right?

Once Maddy was satisfied by the number of times she slammed the pillow, she dropped it on the floor. It had surprisingly not torn during her temper tantrum. Maddy then removed her hair tie from her hair and retied her hair. With all the exercise she had done, her hair had started slipping out of the hair tie. She then went over to her table and started piling up all the things she wanted to carry with her to California. Her bag was still in Tristan's car so she would have to go get it later.

"Well, that was... interesting," a very weirded out and amused Xander commented.

A/N: I didn't want to make my book like literally every other book where the main character is special either because of his/her powers or because he/she is chosen for a greater purpose. Hence, Maddy is a werewolf who can't shift but has dust allergy.

 Hence, Maddy is a werewolf who can't shift but has dust allergy