42

Siege

She was laughing as she danced along to the music. I was glad I had a lens to capture the moment. She was right when she said we had no time. I wanted to be reminded of my love for her for as long as I lived. No matter what the outcome was.

When the song came to an end, Veéta stopped dancing and took steps closer to me. She went back to having her eyes narrowed at me. Whatever her mood was, all I could see was pretty.

''Stop this, Siege. I don't want my children to witness how weird I was. Image it, Siege. They'll look up at you with their beady eyes, after watching this video, and ask...'Tata, why was mama so weird?'. Let end this here.'' She gave me her speech with eyes that showed that it was a true concern. Her words were processed by my brain slowly. I stayed staring at her, unmoving.

She took the opportunity to take hold of the camera and lower it from having a view of her.

I couldn't smile anymore. I noticed her eyes were partly glossy. She didn't believe a word she was saying. They were such empty words. Yet it was a future we longed for so painfully.

I gave her a bright smile. There was no reason to spend the time we had together clouded with negative emotions. I looked down at the camera in my hands and lifted up to save the video.

''I can only assume they'll be dancing along with you. I have no doubt you would have gotten to them by then.'' I spoke to her as I looked back up to meet her eyes. She was standing close to me. Her smell was comforting.

''Are you saying the weird is contagious?'' She questioned me as she gave me a look of confusion.

''There's a fifty percent chance that they'll just inherit it.'' I gave her a mocking smile before brushing past her before tossing the camera on the bed. The cat was gone. I supposed it had read the room. I turned back to see Veéta following my movements.

''Dixie must've gone back to our room.'' Veéta stated as she gazed over the area of the bed. I gave her yet another mocking smile. As if I was questioning why she wasn't taking lead from her cat.

''I'm going to take shower. There's something I want to show you.'' I spoke to Veéta as I let my expression take on a more serious stand. She lifted her eyebrows at me and smiled at me suggestively.

''You know how that sounds, right?'' She questioned me in a giddy tone. She took a step towards me and left the space between as barely present.

''How are your thoughts wandering in the gutter when I'm projecting a serious tone?'' It was my turn to feign irritancy as I narrowed my eyes at her. She gave me a pout as she darted her eyes away from me.

''Fine. I get it. We're being serious.'' She muttered as she glanced back at me with a defeated expression. I kept my expression serious. I was planning on informing her of everything I knew and she didn't. It was my turn to pour out the shadows of my past. That began with showing her who I was.

''Can you blame me? It's been a whole month. I was on house arrest.'' She whined as she seemed more peeved at the situation. She stared into the depths of my soul and looked at me questioningly.

I bit my lower lip to try to stop myself from straying from the purpose of the night. She leaned in, in the slightest and I took a step back to avoid her sudden movements.

''Siege.'' She whined at me. I began to chuckle at her as shook my head at her to show disappointment.

''Follow me.'' I told her as I calmed from my chuckle. I turned around as I walked over to the door that led to the bathroom. As I was walking, I took hold of the edges of my hoodie and pulled it over my body. The chill of the air hit my bare chest. I tossed the hoodie to the side.