chapter 1

A black-haired thirteen-year-old girl was sitting at the desk, listening to the lecture being given by Iruka Umino, one of her the least favourite Academy instructors. However, she could not prevent herself from glancing from time to time at the blond-haired boy sitting in front of her. ' Uzumaki Naruto,' she thought.

kita tossed a strand of her hair behind her ear and looked at her empty notebook. She hadn't written a word so far, wasn't really paying attention to Iruka's words. For the whole time she felt someone's eyes on her, she even turned around a couple of times but was unable to deduce who it was, there were too many students to find the one. Finally, the bell rang.

'Your exam is coming. You have a week to prepare if you want to pass it. The exam will cover all material we've discussed and all techniques we were practicing. Well, good luck.'

kita was one of the last students to leave the classroom. She thought about the exam, knowing she will pass it without any problems, she did not even expect herself to practice; she was unable to count all times she had used to hear how advanced she is to be a Gennin; she had more important matters on her mind. In a few days there was an anniversary of her father leaving Konoha village and no one besides y/n considered it important. She missed her father every day, she remembered him, sometimes even dreamt about him to some extent believing he was really there to contact her, but her mother had claimed those were only dreams.

Suddenly, she heard a loud scream of a boy, 'ONE DAY I'LL BE HOKAGE, TOO!' Turning around, she realised it was no other than Naruto Uzumaki himself. He did not know his father had been a Hokage, that his mother had died after giving birth to him, that the Nine Tail was sealed inside his body, and y/n would've never found out if she hadn't eavesdropped on her mother and grandfather's talk. 'YOU HEAR ME, KITA SARUTOBI? EVERYONE WILL SEE!' kita frowned her eyebrows at Naruto but said nothing, only turned around and headed towards the exit.

Naruto had no parents and it was clear he was desperate for attention, that was why he was acting like a jester and sadly, he had no friends. The only person who seemed to care about the boy was Umino Iruka but he had also a private life, a job, and could not replace a parent. On the other hand, as opposed to Naruto kita had a family. She lived with her mother, Manami, and grandfather, the Third Hokage, Sarutobi Hiruzen.

When she had been four her father has been forced to leave the village but no one ever told y/n why, that made her angry for a reason. Her mother and grandfather avoided the topic every time she brought it in a conversation, even her mother's friend Kakashi Hatake never said a word.

'kita,' she heard behind her back the boyish voice. She hadn't been paying the slightest attention where she was going to until she saw Naruto.

'Hey, Naruto. What's up?'

'Well, you know I wanted to ask you something,' Kita was all in ears. 'It's about the upcoming exam. See, you're the best and – and – um – I was wondering – could you help me?'

'Help you? In what way, Naruto?' she asked, shrugging her shoulders. The boy was hopeless at the simplest jutsu and yet, he wanted her to help him improve.

'I mean – to get better?' For a while, kita wondered. Was she up to it?

'Sure,' she replied. 'Meet me at the training field at four and don't be late. I hate when people are late.'

'Sure, of course! Thank you, lita!' he called out with a big grin on his face. The kunoichi smiled at him and continued to walk on, heading home. Her mother was at work, had been sent on a mission as an ANBU captain and y/n was not seeing her for days, meanwhile, her grandfather was spending most of his time in his office. As a result, kita was left alone that gave her comfort and the possibility of practicing various jutsu techniques.

She looked at the clock, it was two in the afternoon but she was not hungry although the fridge was filled with meals prepared by her mother. kita went outside to the garden, sat under the Jasmine tree, closed her eyes, and started her daily meditation. It was a beautiful feeling to feel chakra circling her body, the power that was within her. She felt free, she felt peaceful and she was sitting like that with her eyes closed for two hours before she realised she was late for training with Naruto.

'Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit!' she called out, shutting the door and running fast towards the training field. She turned up in front of Naruto who was sitting on the ground, startling him.

'You're late.'

'I know, I'm sorry. Let's begin, shall we?' kita sighed, putting her backpack on the ground. 'Let's start with targeting,' she handed kunai to Naruto, 'Your task is to aim in the middle of the shield over there, standing exactly where you're standing right now.'

'It's impossible.'

'We'll see about that.' But for Naruto it seemed indeed impossible. After two hours of having not hitting the middle of the shield kita decided to give him a different task and gave him shurikens. 'Here, take these. Try hitting the middle with them.'

'I thought we're gonna practice clone jutsu and all that –' but seeing kita's face expression Naruto went silent and did as been told. He tried to hit the spot in the middle of the shield for half an hour, with no result.

y/n was tutoring Naruto 'til ten in the evening when it was time for them to go home. Uzumaki had wanted to go for ramen earlier but kita hadn't let him even sit down.

'Same time tomorrow,' she told him as they were standing on the crossroad. 'Goodnight, Naruto.'

'Goodnight, kita.'

Naruto Uzumaki was looking at the granddaughter of the Third Hokage as she was heading home, but when his stomach started to growl he had no choice but to run towards the bar to have ramen. kita was going home, thinking what next days of training Naruto would bring. She felt tired, luckily the next day was a Saturday. She could sleep as much as she wanted, but kita woke up in the middle of the night experiencing a funny feeling down her legs. She opened her eyes lazily and saw two small snakes whose black eyes looked familiar.

'Hi dad,' she muttered, then closed her eyes and fall asleep once again with snakes around her feet.