𝒙𝒙𝒙𝒗. duty calls

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE: DUTY CALLS !

5x10
━━━━━━

          THE FUNERAL HAPPENED QUICKLY, JUST DAYS FROM THE DAY HALEY DIED. Casey walked amongst the agents, sticking close to Reid and circling her arm around his.

          Casey had known Haley since she was young. Before she was close with anyone, she was close with Haley. To see her go was a shock for the girl. But she died protecting Jack... and that was all that mattered.

       The girl stood as Hotch had begun his eulogy for Haley. "W.S. Gilbert wrote, 'It's love that makes the world go 'round.' And if that's true, then the world spun a little faster with Haley in it."

      "Haley was my best friend since we were in high school. We certainly had our struggles, but if there's one thing we agreed on unconditionally, it was our love and commitment to our son, Jack. Haley's love for Jack was joyous and fierce. That fierceness is why she isn't here today."

       "A mother's love is an unrivaled force of nature. And we can all learn much from the way Haley lived her life. Haley's death causes each of us to stop and take stock of our lives. To measure who we are and what we've become."

       Hotch looked up for a moment before continuing to read from the paper he was looking down on. "I don't have all those answers for myself, but I know who Haley was. She was the woman who died protecting the child we brought into this world together. And I will make sure that Jack grows up knowing who his mother was and how she loved and protected him and how much I loved her."

      As Hotch spoke, Casey laid her head on Reid's shoulder, letting her tears fall as she did. Reid put an arm around Casey and rubbed her shoulder soothingly. "If Haley were with us today, she would ask us not to mourn her death but to celebrate her life. She would tell us..." Hotch was beginning to choke up. "She would tell us to love our families unconditionally... and to hold them close, because in the end, they are all that matter."

       "I met Haley at the tryouts of our high school's production of The Pirates of Penzance. I found our copy of the play and was looking through it the other night and I came upon a passage that seemed... appropriate for this moment. 'Oh, dry the glistening tear that dews that martial cheek. Thy loving children hear, in them thy comfort seek. With sympathetic care, their arms around thee creep. For, oh, they cannot bear To see their father weep."

        At the end, everyone had been giving their condolences to Hotch. Casey had placed a flower on top of Haley's casket and kissed her fingers and placed her hand on top of the casket. She walked off but not before giving Hotch her condolences and patting him on the back in comfort.