𝒙𝒊𝒙. dna

CHAPTER NINETEEN: DNA !

━━━━━━

THE MORNING STARTED OUT NORMAL FOR CASEY... ONLY FOR A FEW SECONDS, THOUGH. The anniversary was today. The girl checked her alarm clock and rubbed her eyes in discomfort. She hated mornings.

Casey got out of bed and dressed up in her work clothes and put on a pot of coffee to get her through the drive to work.

The girl had put a two pieces of bread in her toaster and poured a glass of orange juice and waited for her toast to pop out. After that, she had been getting ready and her cell phone began to ring. The Caller ID had been an unknown number but Casey knew where it was from. She looked down at her phone and let it continue to ring until it stopped.

      Casey didn't answer because it was the same call she got every single year on this day. She had seen that she had a voicemail and decided to check it to see what he had to say this year.

      "1 message in the inbox — 'Hey, Casey. It's Dad. I just... I knew you weren't gonna answer. But it was worth a shot. I-I love you, kiddo. I want... I want to see you. I want to know how you're doing. And I just want that. I love you, Casey. Bye' — End of message."

      Of course he wanted to see her. This was what her father did every year. It had been the anniversary of the day her father went to prison, also one of the worst days that occurred in Casey's life. Every single year of the anniversary, her father had called to ask if she would go and see him and of course, Casey never answered. Casey always had a variety of voicemails to delete when her father called — which she had just done with this voicemail.

There had been a reasonable explanation for why she never answered. After Casey was born, her mother had died due to complications with her pregnancy. That's what Casey chose to believe.

After she was gone, Casey's father was negligent with baby Casey. He had cared about drugs and money more than her. He had tried multiple times to turn his life around as Casey grew but Casey saw right through it at a young age. He tried his best with Casey and he wanted to be the father that she deserved. But he just couldn't do that. When Casey turned twelve, she had made the decision to stop seeing her father and her uncle Gideon chose to accept the decision.

Casey's father had always promised her growing up that he would be out soon and that he was looking at parole. That's what the lie always was. But always after that, he had done something that wouldn't get him that parole and Casey was tired of the lies and decided to stop seeing him.

Now, she was twenty-one (almost twenty-two since some time had passed) and living her life with the job she wanted and would soon get. Nothing could stand in her way now and she was fine with how life was going for her.