12

VANESSA

River was seated on one of the white plush chairs as she began eating a sandwich. I saw her eyes wander around, probably looking for Harry. It's not all the time you notice your friend has been messing with your fiancée, but it happened to me. So I tried to swallow down my pride and confidence but it was so damn hard.

I should had seen it sooner. How Harry always wanted River, how it was never about me. Now I sit here in a beautiful expensive gown that will never get to be worn on it's fateful day, won't have tears stained on it, won't get jaws dropped from the sight of it. My entire being was ripped from the soul centre, the one thing I thought he had. My heart. All that was going through my head was how River almost stopped me from pocketing tons of cash.

My feet went faster than my brain and I found myself standing directly in front of someone who no longer had effect over me anymore.

"Vanessa, is everything okay?"

I laughed. Everything was okay. At Least before you came. River stared up at me, while she toke a napkin and wiped some mustard of the side of her face.

"Come with me, it's urgent!" I lied. Since lying was now part of our friendship.

RIVER

Quickly getting up from my seat, I followed Vanessa's direction out to the front of the building. As we got closer a black car ( similar to the one that toke us here) was parked and the driver stood in front of it. What was so urgent? I thought. Finally Vanessa stopped as the driver opened the door.

"We got a message that your mother was in an car crash. She is currently in the medical room, I figured you needed to go back home." Vanessa stared blankly at me. Her wedding was so soon, but suddenly all of her excitement seemed ripped away.

"How could they possibly get that message to this side?" I asked. The pit of my stomach causing me to feel utterly sick. My mother was the only one left in my life who cared for me. But there was Harry.

"No time for questions River!" Vanessa quickly gave me a hug before stepping back. Even though this all didn't seem to make any sense, if my mothers life was at risk I needed to leave.

So I slowly got in the car.

Vanessa sent a wave and kiss goodbye. I waved back. But as the car started, I saw a running figure. The man with curly brown hair wearing a tuxedo that fitted his figure so well. It was Harry. But his facial expressions read worry.

"STOP!" I yelled to the driver, but he didn't stop. I repeated it over and over. I turned around viewing the back window; Harry with tears in his eyes. Vanessa glanced at me with a scowling glare before grabbing Harry's hand.

Then everything became blurry because tears brimmed my eyes.

What was happening?

______________________

I was dropped off where the two sides separated. Before leaving, the driver threw a card at me which hit the ground as he drove away fast.

I clutched the bottom of the baby doll dress since I didn't want it getting dirty from the filthy ground. I picked up the card that was enveloped in gold. I teared it open slowly as a photo came into view.

It was the photo of Harry and I laughing in the ocean. A wave of fear washed over me before my shaky fingers turned the photo over where neatly printed cursive was displayed:

When a friend betrays you they no longer hold a place in your life. This is for your own good River, you will never see Harry & I ever again. Because if you do, I hope you know that the central police will be after you.

Sincerely, Vanessa.

The tears left my eyes as my whole world came crashing down before me.