Chapter Forty-Four

My eyes continuously opened and closed, as if it were a door

My eyes continuously opened and closed, as if it were a door. My mouth was gaped open, trying to form a sentence, but my brain was not allowing me to do so.

A simple question asked, yet it shocked me right in the core. As if a tornado swept me away and took me far away, to some land. In fact, it wasn't a simple question. This question had so many layers to it as if it were an onion, I was afraid that if I pulled the layers to this question, there will be nothing left.

I looked at Alexander, aimlessly wondering what my answer would be. He raised his brows, waiting in anticipation for me to answer. He deserved an answer, but I just didn't know what that answer was.

"Alexander." I finally whispered out. The tears that formed in my eyes got to the best of me and took over. One by one, the tears rolled down my cheek.

I didn't want Alexander to see me like this, so I backed away and sat back down at our table. I could feel the tension within in me. The disappointment was evident as Alexander let out a slow sigh.

As I bit the inside of my lip, taking in the sharp pain as if I was being stabbed by a fine needle. Alexander sat himself opposite me, furrowing his brows he took my hand within his. Slowly caressing the back of my hand with his thumb.

I closed my eyes to get a better understanding of what was going on. The last time I was proposed to, I was guilt ridden and said yes out of vulnerability. When Calum proposed to me it felt wrong, but now when comparing it to Alexander proposing, there was a difference.

There was no vulnerability or guilt. Only confusion. My mind felt hazy as to why I was confused.

"Louisa, I understand if you say no. It's only been nine months, if you feel like I'm rushing you, you have every right to reject this proposal." Alexander finally broke the silence with the soft tone of his voice.

Suddenly, it felt as if a switch was flicked, my vision was clear, my mind was able to think accordingly. Yes, we had been together for nine months, but those were the best nine months. With Alexander I understood the concept of love and being in love, he enabled this spark within me to feel safe and happy with him.

As I captured Alexander's gaze with my light brown orbs, I saw the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. This is the man I wanted to marry.

"Yes." I blurted out.

Alexander jerked his head back, darting his eyes quizzically at me.

"Yes, I'll marry you." I made myself clear as I let out a slight chuckle.

"I don't want to force you. I completely understand if you say no." Alexander stuttered as if he is not able to decipher my words.

I cupped Alexander's cheeks, ensuring that our gaze was within each other's eyes. I wanted him to relax within the touch of my hands.