Chapter 21: Target run for sour patch kids

"How could I forget to buy pens" I groan.

"How have I ran out of sour patch kids already" Layla whines.

"I don't have pens to start classes next week, and you're worried about sour patch kids?" I ask, laughing.

"Okay, fair point, but can you get me some when you go out please," she begs.

Rolling my eyes at her obsession with sour patch kids, I agree. Grabbing some fresh clothes, I walk into the bathroom showering, changing and doing my hair before leaving. The drive to the store was quiet, but I needed some quiet. Layla and I spent all last night learning about each other, watching movies and helping me unpack. As much as I enjoyed last night, it's nice to have some peace and quiet.

Target comes into view not long after I left NYU. I pull into the car park, making sure to grab my wallet. I make my way around the store, trying to find the correct aisle. After 10 minutes of walking around, I found the aisle I was looking for. Who would've thought there would be so many types of pens. Picking up some black pens, I walk out of the aisle and back through the shop, where the sour patch kids sit.

"Shh, we won't get caught, I promise," his voice says quietly.

I walk down nearing the sour patch kids when a girl stumbles into the aisle pulling a guy along with her. I stiffen, not knowing what to do, where to move. The guy who I thought was just some random guy looks up. Those distinctive eyes look at me in shock. Out of all the places I had to catch Jonah, it had to be here. It had to be right when he was about to fuck this girl.

He pulls away from the girl in front of him, continuing to stare at me. She whines, and he hushes her telling her to stop, be patient. Jonah's puffy pink lips open, getting ready to say something, but I cut him off.

"I'm just getting sour patch kids, then I'll be out of your hair."

Moving over to the packet of sugary deliciousness in what felt like lightning speed, I pick up a couple packets, turning around and practically running out of the aisle.

"Peyton," Jonah calls out after me.

Ignoring him, I continue to walk. I can hear his footsteps getting closer and closer. His breathing is fast. Shallow. He's nervous. His stare was hot against my skin.

"Peyton, please," he breathes out.

As soon as Jonah spoke those words, my body had a mind of its own. My feet stop dead in their tracks, allowing Jonah to make his way over to me. Slowly. His breath is warm against my neck. My heart feels like it's beating out of my chest. Jonah places his hands on my waist spinning me around, his eyes scanning my face for something.

"Hey," he whispers, his voice sending shivers down my spine.

"Hi," I reply, looking anywhere but at him.

"Jonah," the girl whines from the aisle we were both just in.

I shift from one foot to the other, looking down at the ground. I zone out, wishing I was back at my dorm listening to Nate ramble on about football. I don't understand anything about football, but that would be better than standing here with Jonah after catching him about to have sex with a random girl in the middle of Target.

"Angel?" Jonah asks, breaking me from my thoughts.

His nickname makes my whole body tingle as butterflies erupt in my stomach. Honestly, words can't describe the way I feel right now.

Jonah places a finger under my chin, making me look up into those gorgeous eyes of his.

"You weren't meant to see that I'm sorry," he speaks with sincerity.

"I bet," I joke. "Anyways, I've got to go get these to Layla before she dies," I force out a chuckle.

Jonah nods, letting go of my waist. I instantly feel cold.

"I'll see you around."

I wave at him in response. Paying for everything, I rush out to my car. Throwing the stuff on the passenger seat, I hit the steering wheel. What the fuck was that? You let him hold you, let his words affect you. What the hell are you thinking, Peyton? I shut my thoughts off, slamming my fist onto my steering wheel one last time before I head back to NYU.

The drive back felt like it was never going to end. My thoughts threatened to start up again, but I push them back once again. When I make it back to NYU, I jump out of my car with everything speed walking inside the dormitories. I take Layla her sour patch kids, playing around with her a little. I message Nathan making sure he's at his dorm.

Me: Hey baby, are you busy?

Nate: No, what's up?

Me: I'm gonna come visit you.

Nate: Sounds good, baby girl. I'll leave the door unlocked ;)

Sliding my phone into my pocket, I grab the key for my dorm. Nathan's dorm isn't far from mine, so I don't bother bringing anything else. Walking down the hall, I pass a few students heading towards the library. I can already tell I'll be in there every other day. I open Nathan's door when I arrive. His dorm is the same size as mine, just a lot messier. Nathan lays sprawled out on his bed, shirtless. His roommate is nowhere to be seen, so I assume he'd gone out somewhere.

"Hey, baby," Nate says with a smirk on his face.

"Hola, Nathan," I smile.

I can already tell what Nathan is after. Lust swirls in his eyes.

"Nate, not today."

"C'mon, you were in a coma for months. I sat by your bedside heartbroken, thinking you weren't going to wake up and you won't even let me have this," he pouts.

His words hit me right in the chest. Did he really sit by my bed thinking I wasn't going to wake up? I didn't mean to make him feel like that. You know what, come to think of it, I could do with a distraction. A distraction from what happened at Target. I guess I sorta owe Nathan this much anyways.

-

Nates toxic side is coming outtttt