Chapter 3: Leather jacket

The long days and the little sleep eventually caught up to me. I had either been throwing up or sleeping for the past few days. It may have only been a few days, but my mind couldn't help but wonder if Nathan was okay. I sat at the table with my mother while she rants about my wellbeing. I stab my fork into my pancake sitting in front of me, the pancake had done nothing wrong, but I needed to let my frustration out one way or another. The sound of her talking fades as I get lost in my thoughts.

"I got you a coffee," His voice rings in my ears.

Jonah hands me one of the coffees he's holding, as he sits down I notice his messy hair and puffy lips. A nurse stands at the end of the hall makeup is slightly smudged, lips puffy and hair messy. Could it be that they were just together? She wasn't the nurse he was with yesterday, I don't recognise her. Maybe he is just what he seems to be.

"Peyton? Peyton are you listening?" mother questions,

"Hmm" I hum in response.

"All I'm asking is that you come home early, so you rest well tonight."

"Will do" I smile weakly.

My stuff lays on the passenger seat as I make my way towards the hospital. Up until recently, tears would've made my eyes gloss over. Finally, I'm not scared, I can drive without panic attacks. Walking down the halls staring at the scratched white tiled floor beneath my feet, I feel my body come to a halt in front of an elevator. This would be one of the last times I get to spend all day here. With a month until college, I've got to start packing and buying supplies. All the things I wish I was doing with you, Nathan.

The elevator had a few people in it, something that surprising I haven't had to deal with much. The atmosphere is deadly quiet, the only sounds being made is the ding of the elevator as it reaches each floor and the breaths of the people surrounding me. I was only going to the second floor, however, when I got in we went down to the ground level, which I believe is the underground car park, then back up to the first level letting more people in and some out before we made it to my floor.

Walking closer to Nathan's room, I see a tall male walk out with Mrs Walker. She had a hand on his bicep and a grateful smile on her lips. I couldn't tell who the man was until I was only a few metres away. Jonah, why is Jonah here? why was he just in my boyfriend's hospital room?

"Good morning Peyton," Jonah smiles.

"Good morning Jonah, Mrs Walker," I say turning to look at both of them.

Mrs walker nods her head and smiles her pitiful smile.

"I'll be back in a few days," he promises "I'll be visiting my gran, so I'll stop by and pick up where I left off."

"That would be lovely, thank you. Jonah," she smiles appreciatively.

He nods with a smile watching her walk back into Nathan's room. I stare at him waiting for an explanation as to why he was just in with my boyfriend and why he's coming back to see him. I wonder if Jonah knows Nathan, although he couldn't because I've known Nathan all my life, I've met everyone he's been friends with.

"Well?..." I ask,

"Well, what?" he questions.

"Well, do you care to explain why you were in my boyfriend's room and why you're coming back to see him? I mean no offence, Jonah, but we've only just met, I don't need you to meet my lover and his mum."

Jonah throws his hands up defensively, "Mrs Walker asked me to go in, she said she had seen me talking to you, hanging out with you, so she trusted me enough to allow me to help her. His doctors say that new unfamiliar voices will help, something about stimulating his brain. I did not mean to push any boundaries."

Is my voice not enough? Is hearing my voice not helping him? If Jonah's voice is enough to help him pull through, then I don't care what boundaries he may have pushed, as long as Nathan wakes up. Nothing is said for a while, both of us just standing in silence.

"I'm sorry for overreacting, I've been sick the past few days guess I just got jealous of the fact you got to see him and I didn't," I sighed looking up at him.

"Don't stress about it, it's all good," he reassures me.

Within 15 minutes of silence, I had managed to fall asleep. Exhausted and still not feeling 100% I was not surprised. I'm not sure how long I slept for, but when I woke up, Jonah was gone, but his leather jacket was placed over me as if it was a blanket.

My eyes scan Nathan's door, it was open, Mrs Walker never left the door open. Getting up I slowly make my way to the door to see Nathan laying there, the same way he was yesterday, Mrs Walker was asleep in a chair near an open window. Knowing this will be the only chance I get to speak to Nathan, I quietly walk over to his bed and sit down on the edge grabbing his hand holding it in mine.

"Hey baby, it's me, Peyton, I just wanted to let you know I won't be around as much. I have to go do grown-up things like pack boxes and buy supplies. But don't worry, I'll get yours all sorted out for when you wake up because you will wake up. I love you, Nathan, see you soon," I place a soft kiss on top of his head before leaving.

Wanting to give Jonah back his jacket I wander around the hospital trying to find him, he's not here. I place it over my shoulder and make my way home. I check the time from the clock on my phone, 7:37 PM, so much for being home early, mum is going to kill me.

-

You stay on my mind, think about you all the time, that's all I can remember from the TikTok sound haha but I think it fits pretty well with the story so far. Hope everyone is having a good day or night whatever time it is there. bye lovelies *peace sign*