Chapter 10: Finally awake

"Peyton, you know what this guy is like yeah?" Alex asks.

"Alex, he won't do anything. I know what he is like, although he also knows that I'm dating Nathan, and I won't allow him to try and pull anything on me okay? But you're more than welcome to come with us, if you are that concerned," I reassure him for the 50th time this afternoon.

"Peyton, are you ready to go?" Jonah calls out from his car.

I look at Alex once again, asking him if I could leave, he sighs, defeated and nods.

"You call me if he tries anything, and I mean anything at all, understand?" Alex asks.

"Yes, I understand, I'll see you soon, okay?" I pull him into a hug.

"Stay safe, Peyton."

I walk over to Jonah's car, opening the door, sliding inside. We pull out of campus, heading towards my home town Tinton Falls, NJ. My mind is full of thoughts about Nathan, how could it not be? He's finally awake.

"He doesn't like me," Jonah blurts out.

"I mean, can you blame him? I'm going on an hour drive, alone, with a guy who I met only a few weeks ago, who also just happens to be a fuckboy, who I just happen to know nothing about, I mean your friend, literally, just yesterday was trying to get in my pants, how do I know you aren't?" I scoff a little.

"Excuse me?" Jonah glares at me quickly before turning his attention back onto the road. "Just because you have a boyfriend and can only get in his pants does not give you the right to talk about my sex life. You know nothing about me. Did you not see me trying to make sure you were okay yesterday? You know what? fuck you."

"You're just like I thought you would be. An asshole." I spit back.

Jonah doesn't reply, instead, he turns the music up and focuses on the road. I look at him, trying to push back the tears that prick my eyes. He doesn't look at me. He just stares at the road ahead of us. I grab my earphones and the book I'm reading for English, shutting out the world around us, shutting out Jonah and our fight.

I listen to mine and Nathan's playlist as I read, not noticing the tears, which are slowly falling out of my eyes. Too engaged in the book, I don't hear Jonah talking, not until he pulls out my earphones.

"Peyton? Peyton, hey, why are you crying?"

I wipe my eyes chuckling softly, "I-I have no idea."

"Was it what I said? Because I was just mad, I didn't mean anything I said, Peyton, I'm so sorry, please don't cry," Jonah gives me a worried glance.

Jonah pulls off the highway onto the side of the road, parking the car.

"Jonah, it's okay, it wasn't what you said, I suppose it's because I bottled up my emotions for too long, everything finally got to me," I sigh, looking at him.

"Aren't you and your brother really close? Why haven't you spoken to him? Tell him how you've been feeling," Jonah asks, taking off his seatbelt.

"Yeah, we are. I just... I don't know," with that, I break down.

I hear Jonah mumble something under his breath before jumping out of the car, coming around to my side. I take my seatbelt off, making my way out of the car. He wraps his arms around me, instantly pulling me to his chest. Something's comforting about the feeling, the feeling of his arms being wrapped around me, holding me close. One of Jonah's hands move up to my hair, playing with it, his chin rests on the top of my head. I grab a fist full of his shirt, scrunching it in my hand as I cry.

"Shh, it's okay, Peyton let it out I'm here, it's all going to be okay," Jonah comforts me.

Tears continue flowing, they flow out of my eyes until there are no more tears to fall. I feel my eyes become heavy, no matter how hard I try to keep them open and try to stay awake. I can't. I fall asleep in Jonah's arms.

-

"Peyton, we're here, it's time to wake up" Jonah softly shakes me.

I hear Jonah chuckle as I groan and pull my shirt over my head.

"If you don't wake up, I'll go see Nathan without you."

I sit up, glaring at him, "You wouldn't dare."

"Oh, but I would," he smirks, getting out of the car.

I grab my stuff, following Jonah out of the car. I speed ahead, excited to go see Nathan. It doesn't take long before we reach his room, knocking on his door.

"Come in," I hear his voice.

I open the door immediately see the love of my life.

"Peyton baby, I missed you" he smiles.

"I missed you more, baby," I say as I walk over to his bed.

I sit on the edge of his bed, leaning down hugging Nathan lightly, worried I would hurt him. We stay like that for a minute before I pull away, admiring his face. I watch as his eyes scan me, checking me over for any changes since the last time he saw me, his eyes slowly move from my face over to the doorway.

"Who's he?" Nathan asks, slightly irritated.

"This is Jonah, he's an, uh, a friend of mine, he drove me here, he also read to you a few times, so I thought you might've wanted to meet him," I say, looking down a little.

"Hey mate, it's nice to finally meet you" Jonah walks over, holding his hand out for Nathan to shake.

Nathan looks at Jonah's hand but doesn't shake it, causing Jonah to slowly lower his hand.

"Yeah, you too."

I give Jonah an apologetic look, knowing what Nathan is like when it comes to guys he doesn't know and me.

"Right, I'm going to go visit my gran, just come get me when you're ready to go."

I nod, and he leaves, leaving me to be alone with Nathan. I can't wait to tell my best friend everything.