4 - Love and Hate

———*•*———
chapter 4
LOVE AND HATE
———*•*———

———*•*———chapter 4LOVE AND HATE———*•*———

Warning: suicidal actions and thoughts

Her socks made no sound as they fell against the wood floor. She stepped through the doorframe of Tony's room, fury powering her stride.

Her eyes were red and puffy, but they failed to hide the fiery glare that lit her iris. Emotions swam inside her, coming and going like a tidal wave. The one feeling that never faded, however, was the sinking, drowning, hopeless sentiment that overwhelmed her. The waves of sadness and stress crashed against her cliffs, reaching higher and higher until it flooded the land. She stumbled down the hall, one hand clutching her heart, wishing she could tear it out, while the other was stretched out shakily in front of her with a knife firmly grasped in her palm.

Her heavy breathing came out in gasps as Rayna felt her panic slowly increasing. Her feet began to drag her across the floor, and she found herself running into the bathroom.

She flung herself against the sink and hung on for support as her legs crumpled beneath her.

Her head jerked up and she squeezed her eyes. When they opened, she froze. There was a large piece of glass..and someone staring back at her.

As she gazed at herself in the mirror, she no longer saw the carefree, happy girl she used to be. She saw a monster. A broken woman who had no control over herself.

I don't know who I am anymore. Where did I go? Where did the happy girl go?

Rayna didn't know where she went. Where that innocent girl with the light in her eyes, ready to conquer anything disappeared to. The girl who smiled and laughed and danced around with Steve like nothing else mattered. The girl who felt so comfortable and safe in the arms of the people she loved. She's gone. She left. She stopped smiling. She stopped opening up. The light faded from her eyes. Numbness began to creep over her. She started to wish she were dead.

What happened to me?

Anger began to bubble up inside her. She furiously stared back at her trembling reflection. Her eyes were alight with hatred, her hands tightened into fists, her hair scraggly and unkempt. Mascara stained her cheeks black as tears flowed out.

  Rayna couldn't even recognize herself in that mirror. All she saw was the monster that the world now saw, the monster she was created to be.

With a choking yell, she punched the glass, ignoring the spiraling pain that was sent through her fist. The knife clattered to the floor.
  She hung her head, defeated, and let the tears rain down. Her sadness had disappeared and was now replaced with hate. She cried because she hated herself, and cried because she couldn't control herself.

"Ray." The soft voice announced Steve's presence.

"Go. Away." She spat through clenched teeth.