3 - Conflict

———*•*———
chapter 3
CONFLICT
———*•*———

All the Avengers were gathered in the lab, viewing the damage Ultron had done

  Tony stood over the broken remains of the AI's temporary form, dejected. Rayna had wished she convinced him to reconsider building the peacekeeping program. Then, none of this would have happened.
  "All our work is gone," Bruce said sadly, "Ultron cleared out, used the internet as an escape hatch."

"He's been in everything," Natasha added, "Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other."

Rhodes walked over to Tony. "He's in your files, he's in the internet. What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?"

"Nuclear codes," Rayna said at the same time as Hill. Rhodes nodded gravely, "Nuclear codes. Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can."

"Nukes?" Natasha questioned, "he said he wanted us dead."

Steve interjected, "He didn't say dead. He said extinct."

"He also said he killed somebody," Rayna said, recalling how Steve had put his arm around her.

Hill narrowed her eyes brows in confusion. "But all the guests left. There wasn't anyone else in the building."

Tony spoke up, "Yes there was."

"Who?" Rayna asked worriedly.

Stark pressed a button on his device which projected a 3D image of a destroyed J.A.R.V.I.S.

Bruce walked forward in disbelief. "What? Th-this is insane!"

Steve blinked slowly. "J.A.R.V.I.S was the first line of defense. He would've shut Ultron down, it makes sense."

"No," Bruce argued. "Ultron could've assimilated J.A.R.V.I.S. This isn't strategy....this is...this is rage."

Suddenly, Thor burst past Rayna, knocking her shoulder. He lifted a muscular arm and grasped Tony around the throat.

"Thor!" She yelled in protest.
Tony grunted as he was lifted into the air, "C'mon, use your words, buddy."
Thor's deep voice was full of anger. "I have more than enough words to describe you, Stark."

"Thor! The Legionnaire," Steve reminded him. Tony massaged his neck after Thor dropped him. "Trail went cold about a hundred miles out, but it's headed north, and it has the scepter," He added angrily, "Now we have to retrieve it, AGAIN."

Steve shook his head in exasperation and put his hands to his face.
"Hey, you okay?" She whispered.

He sighed and looked at her with weary eyes. "Yeah, I just- ...meet me in my room?"
Rayna gave him a warm smile. "Sure."