2 - Divided We Fall

———*•*———
chapter 2
DIVIDED WE FALL
———*•*———

"Eleven Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month

"Eleven Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month." The news reporter's voice echoed from out of the television.

Rayna sat hunched over on Wanda's bed, her eyes glued to the screen that was accusing the Avengers.

"The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred." The television switched to an interview showing King T'Chaka of Wakanda. "Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil, not only because of the actions of criminals, but by of the indifference of those pledged to stop them!" he said sternly. It was as if his eyes were boring into Rayna, accusing her of failing not only the mission but failing her team.

"Victory at the expense of the innocent is no victory at all."

Rayna looked down and studied the floor. Her mind had been a blank ocean of confusion that was swarming with nothing but depressing thoughts.

  "Bystanders of the scene say that the notorious terrorist, Brock Rumlow, had a conversation with his daughter, Rayna Harper."

At the sound of her name, she jerked her head up and fixed her attention on the news reporter. "One woman who saw the confrontation between Brock Rumlow, Rayna Harper, and Steve Rogers told us that.." the camera switched to an interview with a woman. The headline was titled: Rayna Rumlow - a terrorist or a teammate?

"He called her daughter. They were fighting and he called her daughter." The woman's voice was shaking, and her eyes kept flickering to the side.

"Was there anything else you heard that confirmed this?" A news reporter asked.

"Yes. He talked to her briefly, saying they could have been great as father and daughter."

Tears began to swell in Rayna's eyes as she heard the truth be spilled out for all the world to hear. The television switched back to the main desk where the news reporter continued, "people are concerned about where this Avenger's loyalties lie. There are suspicions that state Harper was involved with Rumlow's plans to attack Lagos, and that she has been conspiring with him for months."

Another man came into view and said, "our sources say that Rayna Harper had been absent from the Avengers Headquarters for the past three months. Was this a vacation? Or time spent working with her father? Many political officials are concerned about whether the Avengers are safe with a hostile being like Electrica in their midst. A bystander says that 'during the fight, she was barely attacking Rumlow. She stood to the side and didn't help Captain America.' This confirms accusations against Harper that state she was allying with Rumlow during these attacks."

Rayna felt Wanda's gaze fall on her but she didn't try to hide how broken she was. Here, for all the world to see, were people spreading lies about something they knew so little about and destroying any last bit of hope that Rayna held. Now all her worries and horrors came true. The world would see her as she was made to be: a freak, a monster, and a threat.