13 - Trial

———*•*———
chapter 13
TRIAL
———*•*———

warning: some violent scenes of choking, blood, abuse, torture, and suicidal thoughts

When the couple had entered their apartment, their focus was solely on getting home and resting. Steve's concern was for Rayna, and her priority was relaxing in the comfort of the living room.

Neither of them noticed the figure standing behind them in the dark.

Matthias had a new, burning hatred for Steve and became obsessed with the idea of hurting Rayna in any way, whether it be physically or emotionally, to make sure she experienced the same pain she inflicted upon him. He needed her back and was willing to do whatever it took to bring her under his control. What better way to hurt a love-struck young girl? Hurt the person she loves, and ruin her date.

Meanwhile, Rayna was staring blankly at the wall with a bag of frozen peas resting on her bruised jaw.
  Steve lay beside her on the couch, gently stroking her hair.

  "What are we going to do today?" He asked.

"I don't know," Rayna muttered. "I just want to go back to sleep."

"Then, do so."

She groaned. "I can't. Once I'm up, there's no going back. I'm too awake to sleep but too tired to be awake."

Steve blinked. "That makes no logical sense."

"Does anything I say make sense?"

"Mostly," he replied. "But women are confusing."

"Women are confusing to men," Rayna corrected.

She sighed and turned her attention back to the TV. A murder mystery was playing, but she hadn't been following along.
Rayna thought that they ought to do something so the day wasn't spent lying around on the couch.

"Well, I suppose we could go on a hike," she suggested.

"I thought you were tired."

"I am, but coffee solves everything," Rayna said as she got up and walked over to the kitchen.

"Do you want to talk any more about-" Steve wasn't able to finish. Rayna knew what he was going to say and sharply responded with, "nope."

He respectfully accepted this and didn't cross the line. Rayna began preparing herself coffee and asked, "want a cup?"

Steve shook his head and said, "no thanks."