6 - Loss

———*•*———
chapter 6
LOSS
———*•*———

The quinjet hovered over the roof of a building, waiting for Steve and Rayna to depart

The quinjet hovered over the roof of a building, waiting for Steve and Rayna to depart. She jumped down from the exit and gazed at Dr. Cho's medical center, two miles away.

Cap landed beside her and spoke into his comms, "two minutes. Stay close."
He hurried from house to house, launching himself over railings and stairs. Rayna merely flew past him.

"Need a lift, grandpa?"

He rolled his eyes and replied, "we're supposed to not attract attention?"

"What's unusual about a flying blue ball in the sky?"

Steve didn't respond.

"Ohhh, I see. You're just worried they'll all be starstruck by my beauty," Rayna said sarcastically, "Hey, you have a better view than they do. I'm surprised you've not frozen already."

He muttered something under his breath before replying, "why can't you just teleport us there?"

"I could," she shrugged, "but, we're supposed to be sneaky, right? And I've never been here before...I also haven't seen any part of this building...so unless you want me to teleport us straight into a wall...we're flying."

Rayna zoomed down, grasped Steve around the waist, and blasted them toward the medical center. "Why do you weigh so much," she let out a fake groan.

"Normally we do a piggyback ride. Why'd you have to grab me around the stomach? I feel like I'm going to vomit," Steve complained.

Rayna smiled mischievously. "Oh, you want a piggyback?"

Steve's eyes widened in fear. "No, nono nOOoO-"

She dropped him and watched in amusement as Captain America went skydiving. Rayna flew down beneath Steve and encased him with her energy. She guided him towards her and allowed him to settle himself on her back.

"Better?"

"Better," Steve grunted.

The wind smashed against their faces as they shot towards the glass building. It felt quite pleasant. The breeze flowing through her hair, Steve's arms wrapped around her neck. She got a spasm of happy electricity and boosted herself even faster.

Rayna slowly cushioned her landing with a blanket of energy and let Steve hop off. They entered the building on the first floor and easily made their way through the halls. The place looked dead. No one was there, the lights that remained intact were flickering, and all equipment had been roughly pushed aside.

Steve caught sight of someone and hurried to their side. Rayna followed and recognized a bleeding doctor. She didn't know how to treat many wounds, so she just kept watch while Steve prepared a bandage.