Chapter 4

Gabriele

I felt a little nauseous. I walked into my office and I knew the worry was written on my face. Opal didn't even ask why since I was going to be talking about Luca and she doesn't like children.

You're probably wondering why I felt sick, today is the first day that Heather is going to be looking after Luca. She seemed more than capable of handling him, although he is a bit of a terror sometimes, he liked her so he'd behave. It felt strange to not pick him up at school or help him with his homework. It felt like I was being strangled from inside with worry and doubt.

I composed myself, taking a few calming breaths in and out.

I started working, every now and then looking at my phone. I  got a few things done when the boss came in. He gave me a stack with a smile.

"The documents for your new client. I'll let you know about the opening stock price before the market opens ." He didn't say anything else. I was going to be the new partner if I played my cards right. I've always wanted to start my own company but with everything happening and my son coming into the world, I had to push it aside until now.

I tried to focus on the rest of my work. I am so excited. I think I felt like Luca when his grandmother brings him candy. I got all of my work done when I finally left very late that afternoon. It was dark out, I grimaced. I hated leaving my boy for so long but he was in capable hands so I know my fears are unwarranted.

I gave her the keys to my house when I also gave her the employment contract, so she would let herself in, well the security at my gate also let her in.

I parked my car in the garage. The minivan that I bought a while back was sitting there gathering dust.I rubbed my chin frustrated at what time it already was. Heather had to be home already as stated in her agreement. I strutted to the door unlocking it. The house was silent except for the television. I walked in and found Luca sitting at the table drawing a picture. When he saw me he stood up and ran to me.

"Daddy!" He ran and lunged towards me, I returned his hug.

"Missed me a  lot?"He nodded but that smile he had on his face told me he didn't as much as he usually does. I looked around but I didn't see Heather. My heart sunk.

"Where's your nanny?"

He pointed to the playroom, just when I walked into the room Heather came walking out which caused us to collide. She made a loud oof sound and she was headed to the floor. Luckily, I caught her just in time, unfortunately, it was an awkward catch and I was unbalanced so I came crashing down on top of her.

For a second I just looked at her studying her eyes, green, emerald green. I snapped from my daze quickly standing up since I was crushing her.

"Sorry, I didn't see you. Are you alright?" I gave her my hand which she took warily, she then dusted herself off and nodded.

"I'm fine, that's going to leave a bruise though." She shook her head with a chuckle as she rubbed her shoulder.

I noticed the toys scattered around from the bin she had been holding.

I helped her pick up the toys as she started gathering a few up. I looked up to her from my bending position, fortunately, or unfortunately, I got a glimpse of her behind. For a second I enjoyed the view. I reverted my gaze back to the ground, I felt a sensation pulse through me. My body heated up.

Strange. I guess after 6 years, it was expected when a beautiful woman was in my house. That hasn't happened since Clara. I sighed and stuffed the last of the toys in the bin.

"Sorry to keep you from your studies, I will pay you overtime at the end of the month." She nodded shyly. I placed the bin on the counter and she took her bag. I walked her to the door where Luca bolted to her hugging her goodbye. He really was the hugging type.